Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP PLEASE - Thrush

(8 Posts)
AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Fri 18-Nov-16 07:04:28

DD has had thrush in her nappy area for a few days (I presumed it was nappy rash and treated it with yellow metanium which did nothing), now she's come out with it in her mouth and transferred it to my nipples...

Breastfeeding is excruciating and is making me cry at each feed, although DD doesn't seem to be too bothered by it.

Went to pharmacist last night, he can't do anything till we've seen a doctor, we can't see a doctor till Tuesday.

Someone please help me - I can't breastfeed her for another 4 days without some sort of pain relief! I'm also worried about it transferring to 2yo DS as they're constantly putting fingers/things in their mouths and touching hands/sharing toys.

Thanks.

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Fri 18-Nov-16 08:58:40

Anyone please?

YouWereAlwaysPerfect Fri 18-Nov-16 09:04:05

If you can't get an appointment until Tuesday, all I can suggest is that you go to A&E

ValiaH Fri 18-Nov-16 09:12:05

Call your surgery and tell them that you need an emergency appointment, and if they don't have any of those left explain that you are breastfeeding but the issue you have means you would probably need to stop over the weekend as it's so painful and they should squeeze you in somewhere, even if it's a call back from the gp. That worked for me when my dd was 11 days old with thrush for both of us. If that doesn't work then try out of hours as soon as the surgery closes!

Penfold007 Fri 18-Nov-16 09:36:05

Call the GP back and say you need an emergency appointment or a telephone consultation. Explain that you have an unwell breastfed baby who is struggling to feed.

Tumtitum Fri 18-Nov-16 09:48:09

Could you get some Daktarin for your nipples and over the counter fluconazole (for vaginal thrush)?. When me and DD had thrush I was prescribed both of those (although much higher doses of fluconazole) and nystatin drops for DDs mouth. It just might help your nipples feel a little better until you can get a docs apt and get properly treated? (Although I also agree with PP to say that your baby is unable to feed properly and try to get an emergency appointment.) when you do get an appointment you might want to try going armed with some info re thrush during breastfeeding as many GPs don't know much about it and can be reluctant to prescribe high doses of fluconazole (in my experience). I think La Leche League does a leaflet? Hope you feel better very soon I remember how awful it is sad flowers

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Fri 18-Nov-16 10:18:04

Thanks all.

Spoke to he surgery again now and kind lady on the phone agreed to request two prescriptions (one for me and one for DD) without having to attend an appointment. Hopefully this will sort us both out - if not I'll ring 111 over the weekend and try to get an out of hours appointment if necessary.

When she fed at breakfast time I was seriously considering stopping BF altogether today, which would be a shame considering we're almost 9 months in and I do want to keep it up till she's 1.

Tumtitum Fri 18-Nov-16 10:58:00

OP I imagine even if you stopped the pain wouldn't go away anyway until the thrush is treated. When I had thrush my nipples throbbed constantly, regardless of feeding. Fingers crossed you get the prescriptions and can get treated ASAP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now