Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mums hysterectomy

(10 Posts)
Eaglesandbeagles Thu 17-Nov-16 12:44:51

My mum (late 50s) is have a hysterectomy right now. I don't live nearby and I'm waiting on information on how it's gone.
I've never known anyone who's had one and I'm a bit worried.
what experiences have you guys had with a hysterectomy? Is there any need for me to be worried about her?
I'm running on very little information and I think my mum has told me very little because she doesn't wasn't us to worry but it hasn't worked on me at least lol

Blossomdeary Thu 17-Nov-16 12:49:13

I had one 26 years ago! It is a piece of routine surgery and I do not think you need to worry about her. Does she have someone at home to help her for the first few weeks?

By the way, my scar is invisibly under the forest!

Bobochic Thu 17-Nov-16 12:52:00

After hysterectomy or any female reproductive organ surgery it is crucial to rest a lot. Your mother will need someone to help her for several weeks.

Footle Thu 17-Nov-16 13:44:20

If it's because she has a malignant condition, she may need further treatment. If not, she'll still need quite a bit of help at first. She mustn't , for instance, lift anything as heavy as a full kettle.

Eaglesandbeagles Thu 17-Nov-16 16:49:08

Thank you all. She has my dad but as I'm sure most of you know as is with most people, she will probably insist on not resting.

Bobochic Thu 17-Nov-16 16:49:57

She must rest. It's not on option. She could do herself terrible harm if she doesn't.

Cocolepew Thu 17-Nov-16 16:55:36

As others has said resting is crucial , shes having major sugery.
She will be under strict orders to not do any lifting.
She might need to ask her insurance company about driving, obviously she cant drive yet. Mine was happy for me to drive once I felt able, some stipulate a time frame.

RainbowCake Thu 17-Nov-16 16:58:15

She really does have to rest. It is vital. I had one back in March, thought i did well but really should have rested much more than i did.
No lifting anything heavier than a cup of coffee for 2 weeks!
Her recovery with also depend on how it is done, mine was a full incision. It hurts a lot for quite a while!
flowers for your mum.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 17-Nov-16 17:24:48

I expect the doctors will tell her how important it is to rest, if she doesn't she just risks infection and complications that will mean she's out of action for even longer

Full recovery takes at least 3-4 months but she'll probably be able to potter around after about 4 weeks, if it's an abdominal op, if it's done vaginally it will be quicker

It's very routine, unless it's being done due to cancer, and is no more of a concern than any other routine surgery

Threecherries Fri 18-Nov-16 22:03:27

I had a total hysterectomy in July.

The first week was pretty awful. It's hard to stand, walk, turn over in bed, etc.

I spent most of the time in bed or on the sofa. Ideally someone else should be doing everything for you, getting you meals, drinks etc. Absolutely no lifting of anything.

I had a cleaner for 6 weeks as you are advised not to do anything like vacuuming.

Gentle walking is very good for recovery - I started with a 5 min shuffle up the road and after a fortnight I could do about 15 mins.

4 months now post op I'd say I'm back to normal fitness, but it can take longer.

Hope your DM recovers well flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now