Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could it be pneumonia????

(8 Posts)
Blossombee Thu 17-Nov-16 09:42:10

She's 87 has Alzheimer's and yesterday has developed a rattling breath, chest infection and fever. She's on antibiotics and steroids. The only thing that has changed overnight is that she isn't coughing as much when lying down unless she's walking to the toilet. We are very worried

booox Fri 18-Nov-16 17:17:36

I was told a bacterial chest infection is essentially pneumonia; which can be treated at home with abs or need hospitalisation depending on the severity.

Rattling / crunching breathing was my symptom. Call 111 asap. I hope she's better soon.

booox Fri 18-Nov-16 17:18:31

It could take a couple of days for the abs to get going; do make sure she drinks plenty of fluids.

Blossombee Fri 18-Nov-16 17:49:21

Thank you for your answer. We were only told it's a severe chest infection which could deteriorate quickly. She's still in bed only getting up to go to the toilet 2-3 times a day. Eating and drinking normally and the rattling has decreased although still present. Do you think she will improve soon?

unicornsfartrainbows Fri 18-Nov-16 17:57:15

Is she coughing up gunge and what colour is it?

I'd say call 111 or see a doctor who can listen to her chest & check breathing ability.

I've had pneumonia twice :-(

booox Fri 18-Nov-16 19:30:41

I wouldn't ask a chat forum; definitely call 111 and explain everything. The elderly succumb quickly. I do hope she's ok flowers

DipsyLaLa22 Fri 18-Nov-16 19:33:16

bacterial chest infection = pneumonia. We don't tend to use the word pneumonia so much as it scares people, but it's the same thing. If you think she's worse, call 111.

Blossombee Thu 24-Nov-16 12:18:09

Thank you all for your replies. Just to let you know that she's is getting better every day and has since requested to be given a pattern, some wool and knitting needles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now