Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial ablation

(8 Posts)
Stickytoffeepuddings Thu 17-Nov-16 09:09:17

I've been recommended the above treatment due to heavy periods and side effects assumed due to them, such as low iron, feeling exhausted, weak and shakey, significant weight loss, symptoms have been increasing over the last year. At the same time as advised procedure I will be sterilised, I'm 41 and mostly feel that my family is complete though did long for another child but due to marriage breakdown that never happened, wanting to hear other people's experience of this, how successful, if side effects etc. I have had other treatments for the last 12 months, mostly different types of contraception (non have agreed with me due to my liver not liking synthetic hormones because of a condition in my last pregnancy) and also tablets to try and help me clot better, as the hospital said they feel they have exhausted all other options!

rustyunicorn Thu 17-Nov-16 15:32:12

My friend had it done last year (and sterilised at the same time) said it was the best thing she has ever had done, she hasn't had a period since.

I was due to have it done in June but chickened out at the last minute due to terrible anxiety. I feel I have cut my nose off to spite my face! I have gone back on the waiting list now!!

IEatCannibals Thu 17-Nov-16 15:35:18

I had it done a few years ago and periods so much better now. Only side effect was the awful discharge for a week or two after.

TrionicLettuce Thu 17-Nov-16 15:45:29

I had one in May this year, done under GA. Recovery-wise it wasn't too bad. I had some cramps immediately afterwards which settled down before I even left hospital. I had a month of bleeding, starting with moderate bleeding for a few days then settling into very light bleeding/watery discharge.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked as well as I hoped it would. I have had some improvement (I now only get one day of horror show bleeding per period rather than two or three and the pain level is much reduced) but not enough that I'm happy or that it doesn't stop me doing things on the days it is heavy. I'm going back to see the consultant early next year and if things haven't magically improved I'll be having another one.

The same thing happened to my mum but the second one sorted things so I'm still hopeful I won't have to resort to a hysterectomy.

Funnily enough we had the same surgeon, I think he must be a bit conservative the first time he goes rummaging around in there.

MollyRedskirts Thu 17-Nov-16 15:48:04

I'm waiting to have one and I posted a thread fairly recently and got some helpful replies. I'll try and find it and post the link.

MollyRedskirts Thu 17-Nov-16 15:53:05

www.mumsnet.com/Talk//Talk/general_health/2766562-Endometrial-ablation-recovery-time

Stickytoffeepuddings Fri 18-Nov-16 06:41:13

Thank you all very much for your responses, read old thread too, I really hope it works for you Molly

Namechanger2015 Fri 18-Nov-16 06:52:48

I had on every two years ago, best thing I ever did. I'm 42 now and I am not anaemia any more, for the first time in my life.

The op was fairly straightforward, no pain afterwards although I was shattered and very sleepy for two days after because of the general anaesthetic. I had watery discharge for a couple of weeks, nothing too tough to deal with.

My periods stopped for about a year, then they came back but are extremely light compared to before - I could easily get away with one normal size pad for the whole day now, instead of night time supers plus mooncups every 2 hours as before.

Periods do not affect my life any more like they used to. It was very straightforward and I would say go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now