Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mole - insect bite? Ingrown hair? Warning: photo

(20 Posts)
FemaleDilbert Mon 14-Nov-16 21:12:25

Doctor or wait and see?

On Saturday morning a mole on my leg suddenly became really itchy and inflamed. I thought it was perhaps bitten by an insect or maybe an ingrown hair.

Red patch is about 5cm wide at the moment and growing about 1cm a day. Painful but not horrendously so, no obvious pus.

Have used antiseptic cream, oral antihistamine and antihistamine cream, none made any obvious difference.

I've never really had a proper insect bite or anything so not sure what to do now. Going to the doctors for it feels like an overreaction..?

(Note: vague black pen on photo is me drawing round it to see if it is spreading)

Sleepingbunnies Mon 14-Nov-16 21:14:00

I think I'd go to the Dr just to be on the safe side since it is a mole. It looks sore. sad

qwom Mon 14-Nov-16 21:14:57

Have you phoned 111? Is there any red trails coming out of the wound and going up the arm? I would go and get it checked. Better safe than infected!

Asteria36 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:15:37

Get thee to a doctor! Moles don't spontaneously do that and insect bites don't usually do that either - not unless there is an infection or allergy.

Bertucci Mon 14-Nov-16 21:16:28

I would get it checked asap.

alwayshappy101 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:20:17

I'd definitely get it checked out soon.any changes in moles should be checked out.
I'd try to get booked in with gp tomorrow morning,they may refer you to hospital to see a dermatologist or mole specialist.

louise987 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:23:22

Have you been walking/hiking/in the countryside? Looks like it could be Lyme disease, often caused by tick bites. The pic looks like the characteristic bullseye rash!

Blood test from GP will confirm and antibiotics will treat it so don't worry, just get to the dr when you can!

Mouthofmisery Mon 14-Nov-16 21:28:35

Have you scratched the mole perhaps, if it's spreading like that could be cellulitis

Girliefriendlikesflowers Mon 14-Nov-16 21:30:30

that could be cellulitis or poss Lyme disease, ring 111.

ThatsWotSheSaid Mon 14-Nov-16 21:32:08

Ring 111 straight away. If it's an infection it could get serious.

SummerSazz Mon 14-Nov-16 21:34:13

Draw a circle around the red now and take a note of the time. Could be cellulitis so need to track how quickly it is expanding. Id go to A and E

Pollyanna9 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:34:54

I totally agree. Walk-in centre or GP out of hours, A&E if not.

FemaleDilbert Mon 14-Nov-16 21:36:03

Thanks all for advice, have drawn another line around it and will keep a close eye to see if it spreads. Will give the doc a ring in the morning and let you know smile

Bluntness100 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:37:24

That's exactly how my mosquito bites look, I'm terribly terribly allergic, but never had a mole do that, unless you were bitten there.

I'd see a doctor to be sure,

Girliefriendlikesflowers Mon 14-Nov-16 21:37:37

You need to see a Dr this evening, by the morning your whole arm could be infected!!

Bravas Mon 14-Nov-16 21:38:33

Definitely get that seen tomorrow, it does look like a bulls eye.

bear28 Mon 14-Nov-16 21:38:37

Yes this looks like a tic bite. Well known for its bullseye style rash. I would get this checked as soon as possible just to be safe.

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 14-Nov-16 21:41:40

I has something similar on my leg, I showed a pharmacist who told me to go to hospital.
I thought they were over reacting, so I left it. Then about three hours later the swelling was moving up my leg, so I phoned 111, who sent me straight to hospital for intravenous antibiotics.
I wish I'd gone sooner as I have a big scar.

Fairybella Mon 14-Nov-16 21:44:13

Hope you are ok

Blu Mon 14-Nov-16 21:47:09

Did you definitely have a mole there?

It looks a bit like a tick. Are you sure the lump isn't a tick? Do not scratch or pull it unless you have a proper tick remover!

If the area gets hot or swollen go to A&E.

If it is cellulitis (or bullseye rash ) you need immediate antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now