Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Child has Chicken Pox - am I infectious?

(3 Posts)
sophiaslullaby Mon 14-Nov-16 10:06:47

My 1 year old has just come out in chicken pox spots (so realise he's therefore been infectious for the last week/10 days).
I've just spoken to my work to say I can't come in for a couple of days due to him having to be off nursery (rest of the week in-laws happy to have him, no problem). Work have said that I'm probably a carrier of the virus though and a danger to vulnerable people in the office and to therefore take the week off.

I understand their concern and will do so by all means if this is the case, but I had chicken pox as a child as thought that meant that I have the virus but it's dormant - like everone else who's had it and it can only be re-activated if come into contact with some who has shingles (and THEY won't be at work to 're-activate me').

I don't want (can't AFFORD!) to take extra days off work if it's not needed. Just need some sound advice to reassure work with. Thank you!

dementedpixie Mon 14-Nov-16 10:21:10

Your Dd would only have been contagious for 1-2 days before the spots appeared although the incubation period is 10-21 days.

Chicken pox is not reactivated by contact with someone who has shingles but if you have had chicken pox in the past you yourself could get shingles at some point.

It is unlikely that you would be a carrier for chicken pox if you didn't have it yourself and if you had it as a child then it is not likely that you will get it again. Taking a week off would be pointless tbh.

sophiaslullaby Mon 14-Nov-16 11:29:12

Thanks for your comment Dementedpixie, that's just my point exactly. I need to take couple days off but that's purely for childcare reasons and understand totally why he can't go to nursery. But I'm now left with a team full of people who believe me to be infectious so need a good argument to go back with - and probably still have to bat people off with 'I'm FINE' comments. Or do I go in wearing a face mask?!? grin
Ha, either that or they won't be handing me any work ;-) But I DO want to go to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now