Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arthritis. Why dont doctors believe me?

(6 Posts)
Heatherjayne1972 Sun 13-Nov-16 16:20:32

Been having pain in my fingers and toes for years Swollen joints and pain
So I see GP who said it was the weather! A different GP said it was my thyroid ( I have been on thyroid tablets for years) third GP sent me for X-rays /blood test- all clear so didn't want to take it further changed practice now GP no4 has said is just 'wear and tear ' not one of them has offered pain relief My finger is bent out of shape and another is swollen
Not sure where I go from here feel so fobbed off and in pain
Anyway Moan over- where next. New GP ? Go back and complain ?

Lovelyideas Sun 13-Nov-16 21:52:42

Bumping for you

tuliparcher Sun 13-Nov-16 22:18:29

Can you get a referral or self refer to a hand therapist? Physio & Occupational Therapy have them.

Heatherjayne1972 Mon 14-Nov-16 11:15:46

Didn't know you could self refer
Is that a thing? What do they do?

FancyPuffin Mon 14-Nov-16 18:05:42

You need a referral to Rheumatology.

I would make another appointment with the GP and insist ask to be referred.

It really is worth pushing for the referral, I have permanant damage in my right hand and wrist due to delays in getting medication for rheumatoid Arthritis.

Pandsbear Tue 15-Nov-16 15:50:21

Try presenting the NICE guidelines to the GP here
Ask to be referred as it is the small joints in your hands. You can have RA with negative bloods (sero-negative RA). Even if it is osteoarthritis then there are anti-inflamms and painkillers and physio etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now