Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Achy jaw

(11 Posts)
cookieswirls Thu 10-Nov-16 21:44:49

What could be be the cause of my achy jaw? It feels like my jaw has locked and is achy on both sides. Not sure if the cold weather has anything to do with it.

Heirhelp Thu 10-Nov-16 21:45:36

RSI From teeth grinding.

cookieswirls Thu 10-Nov-16 21:50:26

It happened the other morning and I thought then it could be teeth grinding but now it's come on this evening too.

GoodGirlsGuide Thu 10-Nov-16 21:56:23

There's an article in the daily mail today about bruxism (also google: TMJ). Perhaps it could be that?
dailym.ai/2fEtpfi via @Femail

ChesterFuckingDraws Thu 10-Nov-16 21:59:10

I had this for a while and my dentist put it down to stress and me grinding my teeth at night and clenching my jaw during the day. I was sceptical but was given a mouth guard thing and it's not happened since.
When I was bad, my neck hurt, my jaw was so painful and I couldn't fully open my mouth.

user1478837044 Fri 11-Nov-16 04:36:18

I think you are suffering from Bruxism. My husband also had the similar problem. He used to grind and clench his teeth excessively, especially during night and used to wake up with aching teeth. Several factors can contribute to bruxism including stress and genetics. He had to use mouth guards at night to keep it in control. They were really effective and has helped to keep bruxism in control. Another option is a splint, which is not as effective as mouth guards. Read www.shorttermbraces.com/blog/general-category/grinding-and-clenching/
I guess the above link will help you to get an idea and to know in detail about bruxism and its remedies.

cookieswirls Fri 11-Nov-16 16:29:51

maybe it's bruxism but is that something that can happen at any time of the day?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 11-Nov-16 16:37:44

I would first get to the dentist for a check up. It may be an infection brewing in the gum line that could get worse. Your dentist can also check jaw alignment and advise.

If I'm stressed, I sometimes subconsciously clench my jaw but that usually results in a massive tension headache rather than jaw ache. I always get it when my mil stays over grin.

Painkillers will help, hope it's better soon.

cookieswirls Fri 11-Nov-16 16:39:21

Thank you yes I am going to book the dentist next week.

ThatIsNachoCheese Fri 11-Nov-16 16:53:35

Have a look at TMJD too

SecondSunrise Sat 12-Nov-16 20:30:49

Try looking up Masseter Muscle massage. I've had loads of dental problems recently plus stiff neck and pain running from lip to ear on one side of my face. A couple of days of this massage has helped enormously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now