Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My nails are curving downwards...help!

(7 Posts)
123girlsandboys321 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:05:09

I know this is weird but my finger nails have started to curve downwards, it is really obvious! Mainly my index fingers but the others look weird as well. Also have some ridges running across them (sideways)...does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? My doctor just mentioned anaemia but blood tests didn't show that...

GothyGeisha Thu 10-Nov-16 23:47:01

Do you have any other symptoms going on?

123girlsandboys321 Fri 11-Nov-16 07:46:21

Quite a list of random things to be honest:

Fatigue
Stiff joints
Hard to concentrate
Dry hair and skin

Hard to know what is related to what!

I also have a 2 yo and 9 mo so tiredness is to be expected somewhat...

rosie39forever Fri 11-Nov-16 15:58:43

Hi my nails did this at the beginning of the year, after blood tests was severely anemic with very low ferritin levels. I had high dose iron tablets fro the go for six months and my nails are now back to normal. It may be worth getting a blood test for thyroid problems as this can give the symptoms you have described.

rosie39forever Fri 11-Nov-16 15:59:44

Sorry should have read iron from the GP

BusterGonad Fri 11-Nov-16 16:53:25

Have you had a CRP blood test, for inflammation? You could have a autoimmune issue.

123girlsandboys321 Fri 11-Nov-16 19:53:46

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll head back to the gp and ask for more tests. He just said he was going to do blood test to check iron levels and for any 'nasties'...so I have no idea if any other tests were done! It's certainly not normal so I'll go back and see what he says

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now