Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tooth abcess

(10 Posts)
Vac57 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:50:40

I have just been prescribed 400mg of Metronidazole for 5 days for a tooth abcess that is underneath a crown, the first available appointment with my dentist is three weeks away. My question is how long do antibiotics remain active in the body, I dont want the abcess to return.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:47:08

You can't wait that long! Were the antibiotics prescribed by the dentist?

Vac57 Wed 09-Nov-16 01:31:06

Yes, antibiotics were prescribed by a dentist at an emergency clinic on Sunday, I had to dial 111, as couldn't get a response from my own dentist, when I called the dentist I usually go to I was told the first available emergency appointment was in 3 weeks, it's a husband and wife team and they have been on half term holiday so the practice is very busy for next few weeks.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 09-Nov-16 09:18:44

Can you go elsewhere? The underlying problem needs sorting and as soon as you stop the antibiotics the infection will probably return.

InMySpareTime Wed 09-Nov-16 09:51:43

I had a similar situation (and a similar wait for the dental treatment). It was fine in the end, I made sure to look after myself in the interim as I've managed to keep previous abscesses in check by keeping my general health good. The infection only flares up when I'm otherwise low.
Take care of yourself, get plenty of rest.

lhibbers Wed 09-Nov-16 21:59:58

I'm currently suffering with a tooth abscess for a tooth that I previously had a root canal, I'm only on day 3 of antibiotics but still feel awful and the swelling on my face is getting bigger

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 09-Nov-16 23:12:09

You need to get advice on that lhibbers the antibiotics should be kicking in by now.

Vac57 Thu 10-Nov-16 04:38:30

Nk346f2849x127d8bca260. I shall return to the NHS emergency clinic tomorrow as to see if they are willing to extract the tooth for me. The pain has subsided and the swelling reduced considerably but my jaw still feels hot and tender. Shall see what tomorrow brings. Thank you for your input it has helped immensely.

Vac57 Thu 10-Nov-16 04:57:50

lhibbers. If my experience helps, by day 3 of taking antibiotics there was a significant improvement in the level of pain I was in and a reduction in the size of the swelling.

Richardhun Thu 10-Nov-16 06:07:31

Clove oil is amazing for tooth pain. It's numbs the pain, fast.
Chemist sell it for about £6.
I recommend a cotton wool pas with a teaspoon of olive oil and drops of clove oil applied to the tooth.

Tooth pain is unbelievably bad, I cried a lot when I had a absese and clove oil saved me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now