Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contact lense wearers, how long do you wear them a day?

(11 Posts)
wenker Tue 08-Nov-16 06:24:06

And do you have any problems when you first put them in?

I have been wearing soft lenses for over twenty years and I am now experiencing discomfort when I first put them in. I have now had to reduce the number of hours I wear them a day.

Just asking to see if there is a link between hours of wear age and discomfort for others.

Thanks

Tronkmanton Tue 08-Nov-16 06:27:06

Maybe try asking your optician for a different make of lens as that made a real difference to me.

wenker Tue 08-Nov-16 06:32:08

Hello, I have done that already.

Helenluvsrob Tue 08-Nov-16 06:34:17

Agree change the kind of lenses. I have ones for dry eyes and wear them many hours sometimes. Something's I have a dryness issue but it's rare .
If I get any irritation on putting them it inpop thrmstraight out and swish in the saline they came in. I assume is an invisible but of fibre / dust.

Fairylea Tue 08-Nov-16 06:38:00

There is a link between becoming older and the level of moisture in your eyes. Sometimes just switching types or brands of lenses can help as can using comfort drops. My mum is 69 and hasn't been able to tolerate any type of lenses for the last 15 years - she's tried them all and now wears glasses all the time. I'm only 36 but I notice my eyes are changing and becoming dryer too. I used to wear my lenses 12 hours a day easily and now by early evening I am desperate to take them out!

SparklesandBangs Tue 08-Nov-16 06:39:11

I wear mine from 7am to 11pm every day, however I can only wear 1 type of lens, I tried many/all on the market to get to one I found comfortable

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 08-Nov-16 06:40:55

Try eye drops? Have you had your eyes looked at for dryness?

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 08-Nov-16 06:45:07

Been wearing mine pretty well all my waking hours for 30 years now without problem, I wear silicone hydrogels now which have the best oxygen permeability. However I do have the first signs of dry eyes (excess watering) and my optician has advised me to use a heatpack on my eyes and massage the lids to get the natural oils flowing, this restores the correct function of the tears, worth a google.

silverrain22 Tue 08-Nov-16 06:51:33

I wear daily disposables. I am 43 and have been wearing them for maybe 15 years. They are thinner than lenses that need to withstand solutions and more comfortable - also sterile every morning. Pay around £38 a month from Boots but I get Boots points for them so it works out slightly less. I wear mine from 6am in the morning to 10pm at night. Blind as a bat and can't wear glasses because of the distortion. Can't recommend dailies enough.

Portobelly Tue 08-Nov-16 06:58:20

I'm 39, have an astigmatism and prescription of -7. I wear weekly disposables, that I can sleep in. I have worn contacts since I was 13.
These are brilliant, I can see when I wake up!

Boomerwang Tue 08-Nov-16 06:59:05

I had some of the first ones which were only 55% water (I think) and I used to wear them from dawn til dusk every single day as I was a teen at college and was glad to be free of my ugly NHS glasses. Suddenly I was given new ones which had a higher water content and they stuck to my eyeballs horribly, making me have to peel them off with my nails (lens wearers, the weird feeling of pinching your eyeball is BOAK isn't it?) so I was put back on the original ones but I'd say after about ten years of wearing those, they had either changed somehow or I had, because my eyes would get dry and itchy after just a couple of hours.

At first I put it down to bad ventilation or bright lights or whatever but it soon became clear I just couldn't cope with the milky irritation any more and out came the NHS glasses again.

Bit pissed really but over time I've just gotten used to wearing glasses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now