Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post op constipation (pelvic floor repair) Sorry if TMI!

(3 Posts)
buzzbobboo Mon 07-Nov-16 15:23:03

I had pelvic floor repair on Saturday and was discharged yesterday. I have a catheter as I wasn't fully emptying my bladder which I should get out tomorrow. So I absolutely cannot strain to pass a poo.

I've had a heavy feeling since Sat eve when I'd normally do another and occasionally get slight stabs of pain as something moves in there. I had a suppository in hospital yesterday and had a poo but not all if it and I am currently in a spot of discomfort trying to pass another - it's there but I know it will only come with a lot of straining which I can't do so I have to stop and get up. I doubt that is helping. I'm on lactulose twice a day but that's not helping shift this so far.

I normally go twice a day and I've only been once since Saturday so feeling quite bunged up.

DH is bringing me glycerin suppositories when he gets home in a few hours. Is this the best thing for now?

I have fybogel that I could add in but worried about adding more in up top before I get this moving. Worried it's been sat there waiting for so long that it's drying out!!

Any tips?

kitty1013 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:07:09

Hi there
I had a posterior repair and tvt on Monday. I came home on Wednesday but still hasn't pooed by Friday despite taking two movicol sachets a day.
I used the glycerin suppository and it got a bit out. Quite quickly with no ill effects.
Then I took two senokot tablets and the next morning pooed properly!! Maybe a bit too loose at this point but I was very relieved smile
I hope this isn't too graphic. Good luck!
I am feeling stuck again so may be back on the glycerin suppositories again myself this evening....I think it's the general anaesthetic causing this- I don't normally have problems.

buzzbobboo Mon 07-Nov-16 20:00:34

Thanks! I'm just about to give the suppositories a go. I'm really squirming now so it needs out!

Hope the rest of your recovery is going ok. No pain here which is a pleasant surprise, but I'm just shuffling around like I'm 95!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now