Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy - what will I need??

(18 Posts)
LunaLoveg00d Sun 06-Nov-16 18:58:22

Having a total abdominal hysterectomy with conservation of ovaries later in this month to deal with fibroids. Have never had any sort of major surgery before and am totally clueless about what I will need?

Big knickers? Sanitary towels? What about abdominal support bands? Will I be able to have a shower? Having a pre-op appointment at the hospital soon, but it's only a few days before I'm admitted which doesn't leave a lot of time for shopping.

buzzbobboo Sun 06-Nov-16 19:05:23

I've just had pelvic floor repair (yesterday!) which is not the same but probably some similarities. I took in sanitary towels but the hospital provided all the things I needed. I also took cheap big white pants so I could throw them away if they get too bloody (though not too bad actually)

I've been told to shower but no baths for 6 weeks.

I took in a mixture of snacks, magazines, books and my credit card to buy tv and wifi team.

I took pyjamas but wish I'd taken a nightie because I couldn't wear the pyjamas with a catheter so was in a hospital robe all night.

Take slippers, dressing gown, flip flops for shower in case it's not clean.

Good luck!

LunaLoveg00d Sun 06-Nov-16 19:10:02

Nightie is a good shout as I have been told I will have a catheter for 24 hours, never had one before but nightie probably easier than jammies.

ivykaty44 Sun 06-Nov-16 19:17:02

I had different surgery but was on ward with two ladies who had hysterectomy

They both had nighties, slippers, squash, tissues, toilet bag, sanitary pads.

One had keyhole surgery & they other full surgery. Both stayed one night and went home. Both were told not to do any lifting for 6 weeks.

My advice would be on the day before op hydratevreally well, as you will be nil by mouth and get dehydrated, but if very hydrated the day before this will have less impact on you.

Hope all goes well for you

eurochick Sun 06-Nov-16 19:21:48

As I understand it, the surgery is similar in many ways to a c section (unless you are having keyhole surgery) so you might want to read some of the threads on here advising about that. Nighties rather than pjs for the catheter, big knickers to go over the incision and something like prunes to make the first post surgery poo easier would be my tips.

DanniiMinogue Sun 06-Nov-16 20:11:28

I had same surgery - 6 nightshirts, t-shirts and a hoodie/zip up top to relax in/sit in bed in, lots of big knickers and lots and lots of sanitary towels.

I wore flip flops in the shower room, took slippers and big socks for when sitting about, 2 lovely large primark bath sheets, a bottle of squash and baby wipes. I could shower immediately afterwards btw.

Also, and it's quite important, I took peppermint capsules for a few days beforehand and then during the operation period and once home. When they operate on you they pump air in to you - peppermint oil helps a lot when your body releases the air.

The catheter was fine - it's no bother. When its removed it can sting but it lasts seconds.

I also took an eye mask (in my experience the lights come on flipping early on the wards!), ear plugs, headphones so that I could listen to the radio on my phone and a charger.

I hope it all goes ok.

fenneltea Sun 06-Nov-16 20:13:22

Peppermint oil or tea can help with the wind and bloating afterwards. When I was told I had to have one I went out and bought some really good pillows for at home, it makes such a difference to comfort levels, and one for under your knees can ease abdominal discomfort. I'd make sure you're stocked up on pain relief and laxatives just in case.

buzzbobboo Sun 06-Nov-16 21:22:17

Yes I'd second earplugs and eye mask. I took my herbal tea that I have at bedtime and they brought me hot water for it - - nice little bit of my home routine.

I'm home with a catheter. The one in the hosp wasn't ideal and nor is this but it's not as bad as I feared.

My DH bright in my firm pillow from home. That was also a real treat from home!

Threepumpkins Sun 06-Nov-16 21:57:23

I had a total hysterectomy in July

Most important things are big knickers ( I got some from Primark and wore them for several weeks post op) - pre wash them so they are nice and soft

Nighties definitely

Dressing gown, slippers or flip flops, a cardi or hoody to pop over nighty in bed

A soft bra to put on once you are sitting up / to go home in is useful - under wired not comfy when you are bloated!

I didn't bleed much so didn't need sanpro but I'd take some in case

I was advised to start taking laxatives (Movicol) a few days before surgery - glad I took this advice

ALemonyPea Sun 06-Nov-16 22:01:35

Following this as having a hysterectomy early next year.

Stupid question, but why the pads? Do you bleed like a period or it it just the healing?

Threepumpkins Sun 06-Nov-16 22:39:23

I didn't really bleed Lemony but it may have something to do with whether they remove your cervix - unfortunately my biggest fibroid was in the way and they couldn't preserve mine.

OP I was able to have a shower after 48 hours but didn't have a bath until my steristrips came off and I could see my wound was well healed.

I didn't mind the catheter - to be honest it was much easier than getting out of bed those first couple of times as it's an effort!

tobee Mon 07-Nov-16 00:29:20

I had subtotal summer before last. Agree all above. But also take treat things like gorgeous smelling shower gel (showers a bit grim in hospital), lovely things to read, audio books and iPad/phone. You'll be dozing a lot post op. Mine was down to fibroids and I had great pain relief post op and am so happy it's done with. Be very gentle with yourself afterwards.

Sosidges Mon 07-Nov-16 08:01:55

My advice is not about hospital stay but for when you get home. A friend of mine, who had her op a few months before mine, bought me a light weight travel kettle. When I queried it she said that you can make tea whenever you need. You have no idea how heavy a kettle is. Well she was right, in the first few weeks it was a godsend.

LunaLoveg00d Mon 07-Nov-16 16:07:23

Travel kettle sounds like a great idea! Need to fine somewhere selling cheap nighties and granny pants and I'm sorted!!

ivykaty44 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:25:51

Ear plugs

Woman in next bed snored so loud she kept us awake half the night!

kitty1013 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:54:45

Have lipsalve, toothbrush and toothpaste and face wipes to hand for the first evening when you can't get out of bed. I took in a whole suitcase for my recent prolapse op and didn't have close by the things I really needed!
Oh and nice warm thick socks to put over the TED socks, (but maybe I have weirdly cold feet! )

Sosidges Mon 07-Nov-16 20:24:26

Yes to ear plugs and an eye mask. Not just the snoring, but the beep beep of monitors.

EmmaMacGill Mon 07-Nov-16 20:49:35

I had a sub total 2 years ago now, I was really scared beforehand, but it was the best thing I ever did. I had abdominal surgery and because I also had a hernia I had a vertical cut and got that sorted too. Big knickers and yoga pants / tracksuit bottoms were my uniform for a few week <very glam>. Wear nighties at hospital, you'll have a catheter and plus people examining you so pyjamas are a bit of a faff, puls uncomfortable on a tender scar.
Lip balm, baby wipes, nice shower gel/soap. moisturiser something like nivea that you can use all over. I found it dificult to concentrate after all of the sedatives and painkillers so magazines were better than books. mints or boiled sweets,
Another tip, morphine and other painkillers can cause serious consitipation. Fig Activia, plenty of fruit and senna tablets help and as a last resort suppositories work really quickly! When you get home a little footstool in the bathroom can help, if you raise your feet it helps things move a bit quicker.
General Anasthetic can take ages to get out of your system so you may feel tired and out of sorts for a few days afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now