Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hairy face - what to do?

(5 Posts)
FedUpHairyMcLary Sun 06-Nov-16 18:27:32

I have nc for this as I am embarrassed. I have PCOS, and have found the hardest aspect to deal with after secondary infertility is the hairy face. I have coarse dark hair that grows almost instantly. No sooner have I tweezed than several more appear. And they are always long and noticeable. I have sideburns bigger than Noddy Holder and hairy chin and top lip.

I have sensitive skin and Jolene bleach burns me, Veet burns me and wax irritates the area so much that it is noticeable for ages afterwards. I am sick of shaving and tweezing.

What can I do? I find myself applying thick makeup to hide it so I don't have to shave every day. When I do go out without makeup or shaving I end up noticing it more and worrying that others will think I am strange. I am at the end of my tether with it.

Kim82 Sun 06-Nov-16 18:30:31

Another sufferer of PCOS with excess facial hair here. I have a cream called Vaniqa prescribed by my GP. I was having to get my face waxed every two weeks (hair was growing back within 7 days of getting waxed) but since using the cream this has gone down to only needing to be waxed every 6 weeks and the hairs aren't as coarse or noticeable as they used to be. It slows down hair growth and has been brilliant for me so it may be worth asking your GP if you could try it.

FedUpHairyMcLary Sun 06-Nov-16 18:40:15

Thanks Kim. I will mention it to my GP. I have tried to raise the issue with him before but he was quite dismissive, so it's good to have the name of a treatment to discuss.

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 09:12:42

Fed up could it be worth visiting a female gp who might be a bit more sympathetic to your issue? Just an idea.

DearMrDilkington Mon 07-Nov-16 09:21:02

Oh that must get so frustratingsad.

Go see your gp and see if there's anything they suggest trying and I'd also look for some natural hair remover cream to see if that would be kinder to your skin.

I wonder if you can get a special cream to put on your face after you've removed the hairs to keep them away for longer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now