Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is this on my leg?

(23 Posts)
lolipop2405 Sat 05-Nov-16 22:24:59

Hello everyone, I am hoping you can help. Over the last few years I have been getting this mark on my leg, just above my left knee. It's always on the exact same place, facing outwards on my leg, and I have been careful to check that it's not a bruise/bumped it, etc.
Looks like burst blood vessels under the skin, it will stay for approx 10 days then fade slowly and go away, but will randomly reappear months later exactly the same! What is it?!
Thank you!

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 09:20:39

See the doctor. Don't risk your health by asking MNers. If I had that I'll be straight down the doctors!

imnervous Mon 07-Nov-16 09:35:38

I agree, I'd be straight down the doctors!

lolipop2405 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:16:52

Really? Gosh, I'm kinda worried now, I've been getting this for years!! It always goes away after a while? Ok, will see about an appmnt!
Thanks!

doradoo Mon 07-Nov-16 12:25:51

Is that a mole at the top of the mark? Is that always there? Looks like it's spreading from that. I'd want it checked out pronto.

LilQueenie Mon 07-Nov-16 12:39:55

It looks like a mole and if it is then get it checked asap.

Clickclickclick Mon 07-Nov-16 12:42:40

Get checked out today OP!

flumpybear Mon 07-Nov-16 12:43:27

It's probably nothing to worry about, but definitely get it looked at and tell them it comes and goes

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 13:03:59

It might be some kind of varicose vein or a weird birth mark full of blood vessels but either way the fact it comes and goes is very weird! See the doc but try not to panic! Let us know how it goes OP!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 07-Nov-16 13:06:56

I can't believe you haven't seen a doctor for that!

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 13:23:00

Same some people seem reluctant to visit them, I was ill last year, and I badgered and badgered the Doc, I'm so glad I did as I've now been diagnosed with a shitty illness but I'd rather know and try to control it then not and get worse!

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 13:23:23

I mean Dame!

lolipop2405 Mon 07-Nov-16 16:21:45

Thanks all, it's not a mole at the top, looks like a bit of darker blood. The reason I've not gone is because it goes away and there is not a trace of it left, so that's why I didn't think it was that much of a issue. By the time I got an appointment the mark would almost be gone! Trying to figure out any correlation between bumping it/ bruising and then the mark appearing but I can't think of anything! I have never seen it appear slowly either, just one day my leg is clear and the next it's there! Very odd!! It's not raised at all either, just all feels the same as the skin around it. Will try to get appointment.

Tanfastic Mon 07-Nov-16 16:43:21

If it comes and goes then I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Make an appt, take the photo with you and put your mind at rest.

I think everyone is concerned because it looks a bit like a malignant melanoma op.

CaesiumTime Mon 07-Nov-16 16:47:41

It looks like a telangiectasia but I'd get it checked ASAP.

CaesiumTime Mon 07-Nov-16 16:48:31

Telangiectasias can come and go. Hope it's all ok, lolipop

flumpybear Mon 07-Nov-16 19:06:11

Take the photographs to the doctor too

U2HasTheEdge Mon 07-Nov-16 20:09:29

Cancer doesn't come and go.

Yes, it looks sinister but melanoma does not fade and come back every few months. Neither do the other forms of skin cancer.

Of course it needs checking out, take the photo with you for sure but I don't see the panic if this has been happening for years.

I also thought telangiectasis.

flumpybear Thu 10-Nov-16 13:01:14

Have you been yet OP?

lolipop2405 Thu 10-Nov-16 18:57:00

No couldn't get an appointment after work for weeks. My boss would not let me leave for an appointment for something like a mark my leg, we are extremely short staffed!
I'm hoping the next time it appears I'll be on holidays or something, and can get it checked then.
Thanks for checking back.

flumpybear Fri 11-Nov-16 13:35:51

Your manager wouldn't let you leave!!! That's outrageous!!!!

CaesiumTime Fri 11-Nov-16 15:32:16

Your boss shouldn't w vetting your reasons for medical leave unless they are a doctor.

You have set a GP appointment though, right?

lolipop2405 Mon 05-Dec-16 19:56:36

Hello everyone again, just wanted to give you all an update... this is what my leg looks like now, almost totally gone!
So weird, I am beginning to think it's maybe a bruise of sorts, it's exactly the height of the tables at work, so maybe I just clipped the corner too hard 1 day!
Anyway, thanks for replying. If I have it again, and it coincided with when I have a docs appmnt, I'll mention it, but I don't think I'll make 1 especially.

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now