Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Medics/radiographers Diff between lipoma and cyst?

(12 Posts)
MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 15:02:36

Hi, a few months ago i was sent by my GP for an emergency US on a large lump on my back that has been there a few years but is about 3 x 3 inches
My GP thought it a lipoma and the US I had said it was an 'atypical lipoma'
I was then sent to a sarcoma unit for a biopsy. Consultant I saw was also certain it was a lipoma.
when I had my biopsy the man who did it (US guided) (a different one to the previous scan) said that it was not a lipoma but a cyst. He struggled to get the needle in as he said the sac was very tough and the biopsy came out fragmented.

I didn't hear back for a few weeks and then I called up and they told me it was all fine and benign.
They then sent me and my Dr a letter saying that I had had the lump surgically removed (which I had not!) and it was an epidermoid cyst.

My GP wrote back to them telling them that the information was not correct in the letter and no operation to remove the lump had taken place.

I then got a follow up letter to see the consultant so I rang the secretary at the unit and she said I didn't need to attend as I'd been discharged ect

so......weeks on I've now got another letter for an appt to see the consultant again. I rang the secretary to see if they actually needed to see me or not or if it was just a routine thing and she said 'in this case yes, the consultant, does want to see you'.

But, I've been discharged........
There's been so much confusion and lack of infromation.
I'm worried now why he wants to see me again if I've been dischargedwith a benign lump.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 15:04:04

I'm also confused why on the first scan it should show a 'lipoma'.
Is it difficult to determine between cyst and a fatty mass on an ultrasound?

(that was my main point!)

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 16:20:17

bump

Imfinehowareyou Sat 05-Nov-16 16:48:39

Bumping for you as I have a lipoma and want to know the difference.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 16:58:41

Thanks I'm fine. I think lipomas are made up of a fatty material and a cyst is fluid (correct if wrong smile )

Imfinehowareyou Sat 05-Nov-16 20:12:10

I had my lipoma scan and was told that it could not be removed on the NHS as it was a cosmetic procedure. I have only recently found out that some GP surgeries offer minor surgery (about £350) for this type of thing. So I requested it at my surgery and was told that as it has now grown it is classed as major surgery and they won't remove it. If someone had told me I could pay the doctor to remove it at the beginning it would be gone now. As it is I have to book privately for about £6-700. It really is unsightly and sometimes painful when exercising. I can't wear certain clothes as it is so obvious and people point it out like I need to be made aware of it confused

Miloarmadillo1 Sat 05-Nov-16 20:21:23

I'm a vet and I don't understand why the GP can't do what we do with superficial lumps which is a fine needle aspirate ( stick a needle in and suck a bit of material out). If it's a lipoma you get oily fatty material, if it's a cyst you get either fluid or caseous/cheesy stuff, if it's an abscess you get pus, if it's anything else you make a slide and send it off to a pathologist and nearly always get a diagnosis from that 2minute, in house test.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 20:49:52

I'mfine, I totally hear you. They have told me the same and mine too looks like a third breast. I haven't worn swimwear in a few years and can't wear low back tops as it looks hideous. I was referred to plastics at the sarcoma unit and was told somewhere along the line I'd have to have a skin graft and it would mean being referred to hospital prob with GA.
Anyway, as it's benign, they won't do it and it's right next to my spine.sad I dread the day if it gets infected.
They are trying to save money but in the long run I think it will cost them much more the bigger it grows.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 20:51:36

Milo, it's classed as cosmetic on the NHS so they won't do it.

Imfinehowareyou Sat 05-Nov-16 22:20:32

Milo I'd happily let a vet deal with it!!

MyMorningHasBroken Sun 06-Nov-16 07:29:48

Maybe we could do each others' Imfine? grin

Imfinehowareyou Sun 06-Nov-16 07:35:46

Ha ha, you're on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now