Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe dental pain for months -advice needed

(11 Posts)
kavvLar Sat 05-Nov-16 10:27:26

My friend is having a shocking time with her teeth. I'm really worried about her and I don't know what to advise.

She has had tooth pain since July. NHS dentist pulled two teeth in quick succession and then left her for two months to wait for a hospital sedation appointment to investigate a third. She was going out of her mind with pain so ended up with a private dentist who she can ill afford. I think she has had four teeth out now and investigation on one more.

So as not to drip feed, she has good dental hygiene but also has a privately fitted gastric band that causes her to be sick a lot. She has a high pain threshold (difficult births, procedures without anaesthetic etc) but says this is worse than anything else she's ever experienced, like having been in labour since July. She also has severe MH conditions and I am genuinely worried this strain will tip her over the edge.

To summarize she has been cannoning between the two dentists and the GP for months. Dentists say the pain may not even be tooth related, whilst charging her and continuing the treatment. They say she has infection. She has had six separate courses of antibiotics in this time. Blood tests show no sign of infection. They won't give her pain relief for such a long time. GP refers her to dentist, dentist back to GP. It's a mess.

Meanwhile she is good for nothing, all she can think about is the pain, she has an ice pack on her constantly, nausea and a dreadful headache. It's been three months. This doesn't seem right to me at all and I would really appreciate some signposting or advice so I can help her get this sorted.

Mrsmorton Sat 05-Nov-16 10:37:09

Could be atypical facial pain / trigeminal neuralgia. I would ask for a referral to maxillo facial dept or to a neurologist. The GP can prescribe drugs which should help.

Having teeth pulled in quick succession is a key sign of this. I'm not an expert on it and I don't see patients any more (dentist) but there's a thread on here and some great online resources. Good luck.

kavvLar Sat 05-Nov-16 11:52:00

Thank you Mrsmorton that sounds pretty much spot on. I love Mumsnet. I will point her in that direction. You are brilliant flowers

sofato5miles Sat 05-Nov-16 11:57:45

I was going to say investigate for trigeminal neuralgia too. Hope your friend finds relief quickly.

rememberthetime Sat 05-Nov-16 11:58:53

I had trigeminal pain and it is horrendous. For me it came and went - but was triggered by cold weather and stress (jaw clenching and teeth grinding). I also saw the dentist several times and they couldn't see anything wrong - but one trip to the doctor and a course of strong anti-inflammatories and it cleared up with minor flare ups at times of stress.

I know i got off lightly because for others it is considered to be the suicide condition as in people literally can't live with it.

Naoko Sat 05-Nov-16 12:06:16

This happened to me, although I had several root canals instead of teeth pulled. I was then investigated for neuralgia, then simus problems (even had surgery) but it wasn't until I saw a neurologist that someone figured out I was actually having migraines. I now have preventative medication as well as triptans for the occasional attack and feel so much better.

Naoko Sat 05-Nov-16 12:07:32

Sinus problems obviously. Stupid typos.

kavvLar Sat 05-Nov-16 17:54:03

Oh OK that is something to consider as well then. I am just shocked at the level of pain she's experiencing, she is trying to look after her four kids as well. So is it best to go back to the GP then and for her to try and get a referral?

BusStopBetty Sat 05-Nov-16 21:17:15

Yes, but the GP can also prescribe medications which may help if it is nerve pain.

Piscivorus Sat 05-Nov-16 21:24:12

I had this years ago and it was awful. I had 2 teeth taken out and was in pain for over 3 months until I saw a maxillo-facial consultant who diagnosed a TMJ issue (temperomandibular joint)
He prescribed medication, a thing to clip over my teeth at night to reduce cenching and gave advice on how to relax the jaw muscles. Took a while but it did settle.
He also recommended a different dentist (very tactfully of course) and my new one is amazing

Good luck to your friend

MulberryBush12 Sun 06-Nov-16 17:47:07

Just to add- if there's a clinical suspicion of trigeminal neuralgia, it is possible for her GP or 1 of the 2 involved dentists, to prescribe some carbamazepine (first line treatment for TN) until your friend has had her oral/maxillo-facial (or oral medicine ) appointment. Sorry....v.long sentence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now