Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need something to help with flea bites???

(26 Posts)
lyssie29 Sat 05-Nov-16 07:01:19

My cat caught fleas from somewhere and now they're in the house and I keep getting bitten. He's free of them now but finding it difficult to get rid of them in the house and they keep biting me. Anyone know of anything that will help the bites? I got skin so soft from Avon to stop them biting but doesn't seem to be working and now I'm all sore and miserable (they are all over me)

MaryManchego Sat 05-Nov-16 07:05:03

An antihistamine can help with the itching, or anthisan or similar to apply, speak to the chemist. You need drops for the cat and regular vacuuming plus household flea spray for the house, get one from the vet.

EasterRobin Sat 05-Nov-16 07:12:30

Antihistamines will help with the itching/swelling. (Eg hayfever tablets)

Then sorting your house out will take a bit of effort every day for two weeks. You probably know all this, but wash/vacuum everything your cat sleeps on and then vacuum the whole house (incl cat sleeping areas such as sofas) daily for two weeks.

lyssie29 Sat 05-Nov-16 07:29:20

Thanks I'll try antihistamines never thought of them.

I have sprayed the house twice now so I'm going to try a different spray as the one i have must be rubbish.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 05-Nov-16 07:30:55

Indorex spray is the best. I buy it from Amazon.

lljkk Sat 05-Nov-16 07:54:53

Simple insect repellant might reduce your ongoing bites while the blighters keep dying off.

lljkk Sat 05-Nov-16 07:55:52

... there's a life stage when nothing kills them (can't remember which, but before they can start biting). So no point in repeat spraying, you have to wait for the rest to hatch out or pupate, and then come into contact with the poisons in carpet or in your pet.

chatnanny Sat 05-Nov-16 08:09:46

I agree with PPs Indorex spray for the house, anti-histamines for the people!

Munstermonchgirl Sat 05-Nov-16 08:10:50

Calamine lotion. A bottle from the chemist is cheap as chips and it really soothes any kind of itching and bites. Just dab on the affected areas.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 05-Nov-16 08:14:29

Wash everything you can at 60

Hoover every day

Spray with Indorex.

Treat your cat with Advocate

Use a flea comb- I doubt he's free if them if they're in your house.

goddessofsmallthings Sat 05-Nov-16 20:06:48

Have you recently turned your c/heating on? If so, the buggers will be breeding like rabbits.

Avon Skin So Soft is said to repel mosquitoes but, afaik, it won't act as a flea deterrent.

Follow the advice above and shop around for Indorex spray and Advantage. I buy from Fetch and have the products delivered with my Ocado order - current prices are £10.99 for Indorex and £9.99 for 4 Advantage ampoules.

I would also suggest you worm your cat regularly using Drontal for tape and round worms.

Vinegar takes the sting out of flea bites and, as Munster has said, calamine lotion alleviates the urge to scratch the damn things.

Follow the recommended regime and you should be flea free in a week or two.

Deux Sat 05-Nov-16 20:14:51

Antihistamine and mossie repelant for you. Tuck trousers into socks day and night. Spray mossie repelant over tucked in trousers combo.

Go crazy and hoover/spray as detailed above with Indorex or RIP fleas. Check grooves in wooden flooring especially under sofas/edges of furniture for cocoons (barf) wipe up with baby wipe and put in a lidded jam jar. The little buggers will hatch.

Do not use Frontline Combi as a flea repelant as fleas are becoming immune to it <bitter>. Don't use any flea treatments you can buy in a supermarket as they're rubbish. Try Advocate or Stronghold on your cat.

This was my routine when we had an infestation. Oh and add in some hysteria too and throw out all rugs. smile

lyssie29 Sat 05-Nov-16 21:02:02

Thanks everyone :-) have ordered indorex and already have used advantage on the cat 2 weeks ago I keep checking him I can't see any fleas but might try flea comb because they're definitely still around him as one jumped on my arm today 😷 Once indirect gets here I'll blitz the place.

Ollycat Sat 05-Nov-16 21:05:13

Your vets will have a furniture / room spray thing - can't remember the name - it's privey, about £21 but really works and kills larvae for 12 months.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 05-Nov-16 21:06:01

OP what are the flea bites like? I have had an itchy back for weeks and spots coming up but they are not blisters. I don't have animals but the lady here before us did. I think the spots are probably bigger than flea bites (imagine they are very small?)
They are only coming up on my back though (top half)

Ollycat Sat 05-Nov-16 21:08:45

Just read your last post - yes it's Indorex - brilliant stuff! Our vet recommends Advocat as being the best thing to use at the moment.

We've just had a nightmare with fleas - dog and cat both done monthly but was still getting bitten - they lie dormant till heating comes on! Indorex sorted all out! Don't forget to spray along skirting boards.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 06-Nov-16 00:16:53

When you apply the Advocate,dont apply it in one spot but 4 or 5 spots at the base of the skull instead - as advised by my vet!

goddessofsmallthings Sun 06-Nov-16 00:58:20

The actual bite is tiny - less than 1mm across, MyMorning, but the surrounding area can present as a spot of around 10mm or more.

As you're being bitten on your back, I suggest you check your bed and be aware that bedbugs are a possibility.

If you put 'pictures of bedbug bites' and 'pictures of flea bites' in your search engine you'll see that there's not a lot of difference between them.

stonecircle Sun 06-Nov-16 01:06:42

In my 20s I twice lived in flats that had fleas left behind by a previous tenant's cat. Had them a couple of times over the last 10 years or so from our cat - on one occasion we realised where they were so blasted that area with RIP spray from the vet's and hoovered like mad. The other time we got someone from the council out who sprayed everywhere.

I must say though, I've never had fleabites anywhere other than my legs - certainly never on my back.

MyMorningHasBroken Sun 06-Nov-16 07:32:50

Thanks Goddess, Ikind of ruled out bedbugs as they are spread randomly and not in a line as i think bedbugs do.
And they've been there a few months, they don't come and go away. sad

lyssie29 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:13:13

MyMorningHasBroken they are like pp has described they started on my legs but I'm now getting them pretty much anywhere. I think they're mainly in my living room as I only get bites after I've been in there. Decided to order indorex online as it was only £11 off Amazon so hopefully I'll get it tomorrow! It's driving me insane!

stonecircle Sun 06-Nov-16 09:35:12

Lyssie. Do you have carpet in the living room? If so I reckon that's where they'll be. Vacuum it within an inch of its life (wearing trousers tucked into thick sox/boots etc.) Use the attachment to get right up to the skirting board and to vacuum fabric/non-leather furniture.

Bloody awful things!

lyssie29 Sun 06-Nov-16 13:41:36

Stonecircle yes I have carpet throughout the whole house 🙈 It's going be hard as I have 2 kids who both hate the vacuum 🙄 But it needs to be done.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 06-Nov-16 14:07:36

You need to vacuum every day really, bribe the kids with chocolate buttons?grin

lyssie29 Sun 06-Nov-16 14:24:28

😂 my 3 year old will happily take them but one year old is a bit harder. However I just managed to vacuum the living room while she was napping. I'm in a flat so can't really go around without waking her so ill just wait until she's up and do bedrooms etc. Unfortunately she might have to cry for 5 minutes 😏

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now