Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Infection after key hole surgery

(3 Posts)
uhoh2016 Fri 04-Nov-16 22:26:23

I had key hole surgery 4 weeks ago through my belly button. For the past few days (since the stitches are dissolving/falling out or whatever they're meant to do) puss has been coming out .
I've been cleaning it daily and applying savlon, I've resorted to covering it with dressing plasters which are covered in bloody puss when I take it off.
Should I be seeing my GP? Should I keep up with the dressing or let fresh air get too it?

lougle Fri 04-Nov-16 22:31:39

If you have active pus you need to see your GP. Are you cleaning it with saline? (1 pint of cooled boiled water with 1 teaspoon salt dissolved in it is a normal saline solution).

NomNomNomBrains Fri 04-Nov-16 22:59:05

Avoid savlon as it can damage the skin. Also, be aware that salt used for home-made saline may contain bacteria, so add the salt when the water's just boiled. And, yes, see the GP. If the area becomes hot to the touch, inflamed, increasingly painful, or if you start to feel unwell then call NHS 24 to get an out-of-hours appt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now