Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis from hell

(9 Posts)
BurnTheBlackSuit Fri 04-Nov-16 15:24:59

I am feeling very sorry for myself today. I have terrible tonsillitis- throbbing headache, fever, aching joints and muscles, feel sick and have stomach pain plus tonsils which have swollen so big and are white and are so painful. Hurts to swollow - can't eat anything and drinking is a challenge. My neck is so tender to touch on the outside too. Oh and the spit that is gathering in my mouth taste horrible and I suspect smells horrible too.

I had mild sore throat on Wednesday which I treated by painkillers and it was ok, but I felt a little rough by the evening. Thursday I was in agony which has carried on today.

I have looked at the NHS website which says don't need a doctor unless you have had it for 4 days. But tomorrow is the weekend and I am in so much pain. Do you think it would be ok to try and see a doctor this afternoon? I have tried every home remedy I can find - salt water gargling, honey, humidify the room and have been solidly on paracetamol and ibuprofen but I am in so much pain.

Do you think it's ok to go to the GP and can they give me something to help me?? Or will they turn me away as a time Waster?

Ankleswingers Fri 04-Nov-16 15:29:13

Oh you poor thing, yes, definitely try and get to the GP today- especially with it being a Friday. You may have bacterial tonsillitis and so will need antibiotics.

Really hope that you get to see the GP and that you feel better flowers

MerylPeril Fri 04-Nov-16 15:29:41

They won't turn you away but an appointment on a Friday afternoon might be tricky?
Walk in centre?
It sounds like you really need something though

BurnTheBlackSuit Fri 04-Nov-16 15:32:52

No walk in centres here sadly sad

Monkeyinshoes Fri 04-Nov-16 19:44:57

Sounds exactly like what I've got. Wednesday was just a little sore throat, now I'm in pain to swallow, shivering, nauseous and my neck hurts.

I hope you got an appointment, I'm off to the walking centre tomorrow. If you didn't get seen try some chloroseptic throat spray, it numbs your throat.

BurnTheBlackSuit Sun 06-Nov-16 22:15:44

Monkey- how are you feeling now?

I didn't make the doctor- the thought of going out of the house exhausted me. Nearly went to OOH several times over the weekend., but didn't.

One side of my neck, one tonsil, and one side of my tongue is still swollen and I am so exhausted, but at least I can leave the bed.

I think this is the worst illness I've ever had! (Had tonsillitis before, but not like this!!!)

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 06-Nov-16 22:40:56

Oh god, you poor things. I had this last month - I am prone to it, but have never had it like this before. I actually rang NHS 24 on the third day (a Sunday) as I felt so terrible, and I know that here that guarantees you an appointment with the Doctor the next day. They actually sent me to out of hours, and I saw a GP there. She prescribed penicillin and bed rest but said to hang on 24 hours and see if it self-regulated before starting the tablets. Funnily enough, it did, although I wasn't able to stay off work. I really hope you feel better soon, there must be some mutant strain going around.

lougle Sun 06-Nov-16 22:51:51

How high is your fever? Is your pulse normal (60-100 beats per minute) or high? Are you breathing normally or have you noticed that you're breathing more rapidly than normal? Are you able to wee normally?

You sound like you're feeling quite unwell?

ktjb39 Tue 08-Nov-16 15:06:30

I'm suffering with tonsillitis too - held off going to the dr until today and she recoiled in horror when she looked at my throat. confusedIf you are still feeling rough do go and get yourself checked out tonsillitis is a horrid illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now