Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glasses/contact lenses/headaches!!!

(4 Posts)
youvegottobekidding Fri 04-Nov-16 10:48:05

So I had an eye test about 6wks ago. It was established that my prescription had changed & I needed varifocals. I have them a go (standard ones) but I really struggled with them, migraines went through the roof (I get headaches anyway) & I generally felt my vision wasn't as clear.

I went back to the opticians, who then swapped the varifocals for two pairs of glasses, one distance & one for reading. I am wearing the distance ones nearly all the time, as they are fine vision wise for everything, even reading, using the phone, as these things are held at arms length anyway.

During this time I was due a contact lens check, which I've had done. Expecting a change in that prescription also, but not wanting the varifocals as knowing I wouldn't get on with them, I was surprised to find that there was no change in my prescription for my contact lenses?! Even the contact lense optician said before the test that my prescription had really changed, then backtracked when the test began & said my vision wasn't that 'bad'!

I've read that there are differences in perscritions between glasses & contacts because of the way they work - contacts are on the eye & glasses sit further away - but I'm wondering if my glasses script has been 'over' perscribed? I've heard of it before - I'm still suffering from bad migraines, 3, 4 days a week. I'm beginning to wear my contacts more to see if indeed it's my glasses that are the cause of the increased migraines. I wonder if the opticians would give me a re-test?

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 04-Nov-16 11:04:17

Yes, your opticians should give you a free retest if you're having problems.
My contact lens prescription increased slightly a few years ago, but the new ones gave me headaches. I went back to the optician (Specsavers) and they retested and changed me back to the old prescription.
My glasses and lenses have different prescriptions.

Themanfrommancc Sat 05-Nov-16 08:18:46

I have a few friends to seem to spend their lives juggling several pairs of specs.

If you are shortsighted then you could have your contacts biased for monovision which works well for many people. Alternatively have your contacts set up for full distance correction and when reading,just slip a pair of cheap ready readers on.

Varifocals are often a compromise as you are trying to accommodate varying gradients of correction on a single lens. It takes very accurate measuring.prescribing and dispensing to get it right and the smaller the lens blank, the greater the margin for error.

There are multifocal contacts on the market but many find they just dont work !

youvegottobekidding Tue 08-Nov-16 20:21:52

Thanks for your replies, I'm still suffering badly from headaches so I've emailed opticians (specsavers) requesting a re-test, hopefully they will respond, will be interesting to see (get it?!) what it results in. Even through all the pounding misery I haven't lost my sense of humour. Just yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now