Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast cancer fear

(8 Posts)
user1465987738 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:33:26

Im feeling really down at the moment. I suffer badly ocd and health anxiety and it mostly focuses on my breasts I attended the breast clinic in Feb this year to get checked and was told I was fine after an exam. A couple of weeks ago I found f a lump in the other breast and went into total meltdown! I attended my gp last Monday who felt and said she doesn't think it's anything to worry about but will send me to the breast clinic for a routine appointment so won't be seen for a couple of months. I do have lumpy breasts and fibrocystic breast but this feels like a lump! I had a telephone consultation with another gp who said only people with suspected breast cancer is referred urgently. I should be reassured by this but I'm not at all. I can't stop crying and its taking over my life. I am 28 and have a 2 year old and should be enjoying life but I'm just living in fear that I might have breast cancer and I'm being fobbed off. I'm hoping to make an appointment for my gp for the start of next week to discuss my worries. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it

NavyandWhite Thu 03-Nov-16 19:35:00

When you attended in Feb did you have a mammogram?

user1465987738 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:24:53

No just a breast exam from the consultant. I had an ultrasound in December 2014. Can't get mammogram at my age

NavyandWhite Thu 03-Nov-16 20:28:17

Ok. Try and take some reassurance from your GP and the fact that she didn't think it was anything to worry about.

This is your health anxiety worrying you. Have you spoken to your GP about it?

missyB1 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:29:55

Hmmmm this is a tricky one because to me any lump should be investigated and it's stresssfulfor anyone to wait a couple of months for that. Having said that it sounds like you get cysts in your breasts so you will feel those come up now and again, and they are perfectly innocent.
The question you need answered is why the GP thinks this lump is not a suspicious one, hopefully they can reassure you.
The other option is to get a private appt with a breast surgeon.

mudandmayhem01 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:32:58

I have fibrocystic breast tissue, I had a cyst checked out, ultra sound and one of the larger cysts drained. I was then put on what is called a cyst protocol which means I can bypass the GP and get and refer myself to the breast clinic if I get any new lumps. I think this is a great system and I wonder if this available in your area?

user1465987738 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:40:11

Well I went back to my gp on monday and she said she'll try and get me an appointment sooner because of my anxiety. I received a letter with an appointment for the breast clinic for few days before xmas. I'm still worried but my gp reassured me it's definitely not anything sinister (easy for her to say). I just want to be able to put it to the back of my mind and not keep prodding it. I also go on holiday a couple of weeks before my appointment and don't want to spend it worrying

PollyPerky Fri 11-Nov-16 17:21:42

Most women will feel lumps if they prod their breasts. You aren't supposed to prod them! Have you seen online etc how to examine your breasts? Use the palm of your hand, not your fingertips. If you use your fingers you will feel all the glands, muscles and ribs on your chest.
The risk of you having BC at your age is almost zero.
Have you posted before about other health anxiety issues- cervical cancer? (Sorry if confusing you with someone else.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now