Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Information on thyroxine for those with hypothyroidism

(4 Posts)
VIOLETsunflower Wed 02-Nov-16 18:32:29

Hi,

The British thyroid foundation shared this today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/teva-levothyroxine-tablets-re-entry-to-market-and-introduction-of-new-tablet-strengths

TEVA's licence to produce thyroxine was withdrawn in 2011/12 as it wasn't being produced to the strength it was supposed to be (caused a right royal fuck up during my pregnancy angry and I wasn't very well) -

However, they are back on the scene and with a new strength of tablet too, 12.5.

I think this is important to note as often doses can be tweaked like this to reach the best control of symptoms. I used to be on an alternate day dose of 125/150 (pre pregnancy and in fact on teva) and now mostly 125 with an extra 25 twice a week. This adjustment made a huge difference to me. But does need to be done making sure tablets are taken correctly every day (as much as possible) to get the right level.

ALSO this could be a potential dose option/ tweak if you are borderline and the GP does agree to trial thyroxine (e.g. If planning pregnancy and tsh is around 3-4)

I also want to say I know some people use combo t3/t4 - this is not a discussion about that. However it is always worth adjusting your dose in a fine tuning way and trialling it for a good 3 months to really see how your symptoms are before going down routes like that, as well as checking other potential issues that might cause similar symptoms e.g. Vit D, B12 and ferritin (best over 70).

VIOLETsunflower Wed 02-Nov-16 18:46:24

I also do think it's worth noticing what brand you are on and any correlations with changes to tsh symptoms etc. The difference between teva a few years ago was quite big.

The industry should be better regulated now but it's still worth keeping a track just in case.

tobee Wed 02-Nov-16 22:41:22

Thank you!

VIOLETsunflower Thu 03-Nov-16 19:49:30

I think it's significant for many as it might communicate to gps how thyroxine can be fine tuned to the benefit of patients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now