Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is wrong with my dad ?

(16 Posts)
hannabanana Tue 01-Nov-16 17:20:55

Would appreciate any suggestions as am really worried . He is 76 but normally really fit and healthy ( up chainsawing trees , long walks etc) and really active . Never at gp not on any medications . In the last 5 weeks he has got increasing pain around his trunk which he describes as muscular this is so debilitating he is hardly able to walk . He has lost about 2 stone in weight . The gp first diagnosed polymyalgia and started him on steroids which have had absolutely no effect , indead his pain is worsening and mobility is decreasing. They have now been stopped . He has now been started on fentanyl patches which aren't even touching the pain . The gp says bloods are normal and is at a loss of who to refer him to. I am not physically that close but visited at weekend and he has lost so much weight and looks in so much pain . I feel really frustrated and not sure where to go from here . Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved .

oleoleoleole Tue 01-Nov-16 17:31:39

I don't know but clearly something is wrong.

Perhaps he'd benefit from seeing another GP and you going with him or at least ringing surgery with your concerns.

FadedRed Tue 01-Nov-16 17:42:11

The rapid weight loss is worrying. Has he told his GP about this.
I would want that investigated. X-rays, scan and/or MRI.
You could ask him if it was OK for you to speak with his GP, or could you go with him?

ElspethFlashman Tue 01-Nov-16 17:43:54

He needs an MRI.

gingerh4ir Tue 01-Nov-16 18:14:23

would also expect a scan/MRI.

Is there a chance to see a different GP?

Other than that if he has such debilitating pain and the pain doesn't respond to the medication, I would even consider A&E.

missyB1 Tue 01-Nov-16 18:20:07

He needs a CT scan and /or MRI. Something is clearly going on, the weight loss itself warrants serious investigation. Blood tests are not enough in this situation. Get a second opinion for him.

slightlyinsane Tue 01-Nov-16 18:26:25

Along with the scans I'd be asking what his blood tests were actually for.

Pancakeflipper Tue 01-Nov-16 18:27:46

He needs a scan. Go with him to the Dr's and really push for it.

hannabanana Tue 01-Nov-16 18:30:40

Thanks all . It's hard when I'm not local to them and can't talk to the gp myself . Im worried the gp just thinks he is an old man when I know he isn't if you see what I mean . He has a 100 year old mum who is still healthy and I was expecting the same with him .

Musicaltheatremum Tue 01-Nov-16 19:49:08

I would refer to care of the elderly and they could fully investigate. I'd be really concerned about this as a GP. I would want his pancreas visualised by ct especially. The only less serious problem could be a wedge fracture of one of his vertebrae. (Not saying it's not serious but less concerning than other things although the weightloss is against that.)

Footle Wed 02-Nov-16 07:42:32

Why can't you talk to the GP ? You can ask for the GP to ring you, explain that you're not asking for information about your father but are extremely worried that he has not had an MRI to find out the cause of his drastic weight loss and severe pain.

itsmine Wed 02-Nov-16 10:39:05

Agree with everyone else, the weight loss alone indicates further tests are urgently required. Your gp, imo, is being negligent. A fit healthy 76 yr old doesn't lose that amount of weight for no reason .

It's a worry, I know with my df I write a list of things to ask if seeing the gp. He needs a referral and a ct or MRI.

hannabanana Wed 02-Nov-16 13:06:32

Have just spoken to dad . Me and my sister made him go back to the gp. He is being referred for abdo scan this week . His bloods were normal apart form a slightly raised calcium apparently . He has had MRI for a raised psa again very slightly raised . He gets those results tommorow . I think they just did pelvic region though. They have upped his fentanyl again , so fingers crossed his pain can be more managed . What a nightmare, he is such a lovely man and it's awful to have him like this .

hannabanana Wed 02-Nov-16 13:07:54

And thanks for taking time to reply , it's much appreciated .

Footle Wed 02-Nov-16 13:39:29

Best wishes for good news.

FadedRed Wed 02-Nov-16 22:02:46

Glad ro hear he is going for scan. Hope it gets sorted for him soon. Best wishes fo.r a good outcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now