Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

12 year old has gynecomastia. Anything that can work?

(5 Posts)
ChocFudgeCake Tue 01-Nov-16 06:42:12

Hello, does anyone has a tested method/natural remedy? DS has been seen by the specialist, she has confirmed it is not something more sinister: just gynecomastia. But the enlarged breast is still there (one side only) and it makes him unhappy. He goes swimming with the school every week and I wonder if other boys tease him, it is very noticeable, even over a top. He says no-one has told him anything but he is quite uncomfortable -it has grown more in the last 4 months. Thanks for reading!

ChocFudgeCake Tue 01-Nov-16 21:44:59


SplodgeBear1988 Tue 01-Nov-16 22:00:16

I used to know a guy who had a mastectomy for this at the age of about 19 but it left him without a nipple on one side as they had to take all the breast tissue but that was 10 years ago so things might have changed since then.

MissStressBum Tue 01-Nov-16 22:20:47

I think in exceptional cases your local nhs might fund surgery once he is over 18. It is very hard to get funding for individual things like this however and I think it involves a long application.

Did the specialist give no advice as to potential options? For example, hormone treatment? I am not a doctor, so I have no idea what would be offered, just guessing.

I think you should ask your GP for advice on this.

MissStressBum Tue 01-Nov-16 22:22:00

Apologies, just saw you said natural remedy! Ignore my surgical suggestion!

Really do think GP should be able to point you in direction of possible alternative/ natural therapies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now