Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Throat has felt weird and I've been really tired for nearly 4 weeks - could it be a thyroid thing?

(51 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 19:18:07

Thought it was a end of term cold or something but it hasn't got worse or better for weeks. Throat feels sort of achey and odd without being particularly sore. My voice is croaky for at least the first part of every day and if I take the kids out or do anything completely normal I feel wiped out, which is not like me!

It's only just occurred to me that it could be thyroid related. I've been tested for it a few times over the years but tests have always come back normal.

I just don't feel quite right, not quite present in the moment of anything I'm doing, a bit fuzzy. My ears feel odd, my legs are bit achy, I've had weird sharp pains in my sides/pelvis, my stomach isn't right and my gallstone which is normally silent has been twingeing a fair bit this week. I'm cold all the time but I always have been! Had palpitations for ages yesterday but again that's been happening to me for ages. But nothing is bad enough to say I'm actually poorly, I can soldier on, just feel odd!

Does this ring bells with anyone? I don't go to the doctor really, don't want to pitch up and go 'Hi, I feel odd' and look like an idiot!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Thu 27-Oct-16 19:22:24

What prompted them to check your thyroid before and how were the results? I.e. Moving in a direction?

Do you have a family history of thyroid issues, or other autoimmune conditions?

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Thu 27-Oct-16 19:22:51

*moving in a particular direction?

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Thu 27-Oct-16 19:23:48

Btw, I don't think you look like an idiot for describing how you feel and requesting a simple blood test don't worry flowers

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 19:28:35

I can't really remember, first time was years ago, palpitations and shakiness I think, last time was at a different GP and I honestly can't remember what prompted the tests. Both GPs suspected thyroid issues but I was just told that the results were normal, no further action, when I called for results. Certainly haven't had consistent symptoms for years but the last few weeks just making me wonder.

I have low blood pressure which contributes to some of it I think but I don't know if that has anything to do with thyroid stuff. I just have to tell whoever checks my blood pressure that low is normal for me.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 20:55:33

Thanks flowers

Groovee Thu 27-Oct-16 20:56:58

My first thought was glandular fever.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 21:03:22

Oh no, it can't be can it? Wouldn't I be a lot iller?

doyouseeme1 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:11:41

My symptoms were similar to yours before I got diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I researched on google and found that my list of symptoms matched so I had a gp appointment, explained everything and he gave me a blood test, it might have helped that I have family history but its worth seeing what they say.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 21:21:26

I don't think there is any family history. Will have another look at the symptoms list but I think I had quite a few match before with negative tests!

I honestly have just been thinking I'm a bit run down with a bad throat, but it's been going on so long confused

Marshmallow92 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:35:03

I too thought glandular fever

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 21:57:04

Just googled glandular fever and it seems really horrible - my throat feels weird and achey but not raw or sore. Surely I'd be feeling a lot worse with that?

Think I might need to schlepp myself to the GP...

Marshmallow92 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:14:28

Yeah I'd get checked out, maybe just some viral infection. I had similar symptoms before and it was viral, just gotta ride it out but they may do bloods just to check.

Groovee Thu 27-Oct-16 22:29:51

I was really poorly last year. First appointment suggested mumps, test was negative. Glandular Fever was ruled out then it turned out to be my ferritin was dropping at an alarming rate. Iron tablets helped but my periods have got worse and it's all flared up again.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 27-Oct-16 22:40:32

Sounds awful groovee sad

IHeartKingThistle Sat 29-Oct-16 00:12:04

Went to my friends Halloween party this afternoon, left after 2 hours and slept for 5 hours. Still feel tired!

iamEarthymama Sat 29-Oct-16 00:23:17

I have been ill for weeks, had chest infection, pleurisy, steaming and streaming cold, but the worst thing has been the tiredness.
Day off today, I had loads of plans, woke at 7am, but fell asleep til 12, then couldn't raise the energy to do anything at all. I am sick of it now.

Apparently it is post-viral fatigue.

I hope you sort this out, go to your GP to check
Good luck, lots of soups etc with garlic, onions and leeks and some turmeric might help as well as honey of course xx

HappyAxolotl Sat 29-Oct-16 00:42:45

See if they will check you for Vitamin D deficiency at the same time. It shares its symptoms with hypothyroid and can make you feel very ill.

I had a short bout of bad cold/light flu and just wasn't recovering but put it down to me having a rubbish immune system anyway and I'd been so rough with the cold. But months on, I still had a low level cold, was tired beyond belief and a bit zonked in the day, legs ached when I walked, frequent stomach upsets, feeling chilly, just not-right. I kept thinking I wasn't going to the doc with a flipping cold and I'd feel better soon. But it was when my hair started coming out in handfuls that I did panic and go. Doc's first guesses were either stress or hypothyroid but I had a full blood screening and days later got started on high dose Vit D and started getting better.

It seems a lot of doctors and patients do miss it because the symptoms are so vague and varied. It had never crossed my mind. So now I do tell anyone who has these kind of symptoms to get their Vit D levels checked!

IHeartKingThistle Sat 29-Oct-16 11:24:55

That's interesting, I will!

Slept 5-10 yesterday, went back to sleep around 1 and just woke up now. That's not right is it? sad

Haggisfish Sat 29-Oct-16 11:29:04

I have just ordered this thyroid plus twelve test as am having very similar issues but my tsh always comes back fine, so gp won't prescribe. I'm convinced I am hypothyroid and I have tested positive for antibodies but I want a fuller breakdown that gp gives. I have also been dx with very low vit d and ferritin as well. It's crap!! bluehorizonmedicals.co.uk/epages/89289b91-b6f9-4318-864a-f492cbae7827.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/89289b91-b6f9-4318-864a-f492cbae7827/Categories/Private_Blood_Test_Catalogue/Thyroid_Blood_Tests Disclaimer-I'm not recommending in any way, just letting you know what I have chosen to do in frustration!

HappyAxolotl Sat 29-Oct-16 12:10:36

No KingThistle that's not right. At my worst I was sleeping most of the weekend.

Cheeky question but have you gained weight? Weight gain is a symptom of vit D deficiency and I put on about a stone in 3 months, but as I was barely moving and was eating too many takeaways as I had no energy for shopping and cooking, it didn't register as being out of the ordinary.

Once I was on the pills it dropped off again. I'd decided once I'd got my health back I'd worry about getting my figure back but turned out I didn't need to.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 29-Oct-16 12:52:18

Been on a bit of a diet so not gaining weight, not losing much either though!

PhyllisWig Sat 29-Oct-16 17:21:38

This is weird as it pretty much describes how I'm feeling to a t!

I have had a nasty cold but was feeling 'wrong' before hand. The cold knocked me for 6. I've been incredibly achey, low motivation and my anxiety has been sky high over the last couple months and have the throat thing too. Usually these days I can pin down a cause for the anxiety and ride it out but haven't been able to which is odd. Also v wiped out which again is not like me.

I too was wondering about vit d and/or thyroid. Am going to see if the GP will do some bloods. I know my iron is lowish already.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 29-Oct-16 17:40:10

Got up, tidied the bathroom, made a crumble. Had a bit of lunch. Now back in bed feeling knackered and really nauseous. WTF? I have to go back to work on Monday!

stonecircle Sun 30-Oct-16 14:23:35

Am reading with interest. Came on here to start a new thread but this one pretty much sums up how I'm feeling!

For about a month I've felt like I was coming down with something - tired, achey, skin a bit sensitive. It comes and goes though. On Friday I felt dreadful, fine yesterday and crap again today.

Am wondering now if it could be iron/vitamin d deficiency. Last time I had blood tests - a few years ago - the doctor said my vitamin d levels were none existent. So thanks to the poster who suggested that to the op - am off to take some supplements!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now