Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ibs

(3 Posts)
yellowsquarepostit Wed 26-Oct-16 09:50:46

Hi has anyone found any particular improvement with probiotics?

I know onions set me off and I think wheat and sometimes lactose. But it's variable. I think triggered by iron tablets which I'm off but have been left with issues.

Just wondering whether to do a really good stint on them?

MrsSam Wed 26-Oct-16 10:37:45

Hi there, over the years I have tried numerous things for my ibs and I have had decent results with probiotics. I think anything is worth a go. I have also used peppermint oil capsules for the bloating and domperidome worked well for a while.

For me different things have worked at different times. I have also find triggers come and go, I used to be great with Sunday lunch, now it's just meat potatoes and carrots as everything else sets me off. Stress is my big trigger (not easy to avoid with 6 DC) and also any illness whatsoever, if my gall stones play up I can guarantee my ibs is not far behind. Iron tablets were a big one for me, I had months of problems the last time I took them, really disagreed with me, my iron was very low so I needed something, I managed to tolerate floradix, don't know if that's something you could consider?

yellowsquarepostit Wed 26-Oct-16 14:51:59

Thanks mrssam very helpful!

They checked me for gall stones as it was especially fatty food shooting through but I think that was the left over irritation from the iron. and a big fish n chips

Currently doing a trial month without to see what the drop is though I suspect I'll need something. I'll try floradix thanks. Solgar irritated it too unfortunately.

I think a week of biokult really did help if I took it really strictly 2 twice a day last week but I then ran out on Monday, waiting for a new supply!

I need to keep on top of it as I find it hard to put on weight anyway without food being ejected without time to digest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now