Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Failed smear test

(3 Posts)
Highlandfling80 Mon 24-Oct-16 06:11:38

I have just had a smear which was really painful and failed. She couldn't get cervix to play ball. I knew it was going to hurt and was probably tense. I also have a retroverted uterus.
Just wondering if others have experienced this. I did ask about drugs to soften things but she said is wasn't necessary as I was still pretty soft despite bring menopausal.
I have read that plastic speculum aren't great for retroverted uterus but not sure if this is true.
Thank you

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 24-Oct-16 15:24:55

Did she get you to make a ball of your fists and place them underneath your bottom?
I have a retroverted uterus and my cervix like to play hide and seek...but doing the above usually does the trick. Was not comfortable doing that when I had a mirena fitted though!
Did she try using a metal speculum? The plastic ones don't work for me.

Highlandfling80 Mon 24-Oct-16 17:05:26

Did the fist thing. Also used a longer speculum but still plastic. Also tried lying on my side. Thank you for reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now