Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smelly belly button

(34 Posts)
YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 09:30:53

So embarrassing. I've got an innovative belly button and when I stuck my finger in there it smelt blush.
I've tried cleaning it with a cotton wool bud but I still feel it's a bit yucky.
Is this a sign of something bad and if it's just a cleaning issue how do you deal with yours?

YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 09:31:54

Oh fuck an inny belly button grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Oct-16 09:32:37

Just use soap in the shower!

YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 09:33:36

I do. I wash almost daily

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Oct-16 09:35:21

Perhaps wash daily?

PoldarksBreeches Sun 23-Oct-16 09:36:37

Everybody's belly button is smelly. Mine is pretty deep because I'm a chubster which might have something to do with it!

CalypsoValdez Sun 23-Oct-16 09:36:51

You're probably not drying it after you wash?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 23-Oct-16 09:37:23

Because it's a dark moist warm hole it's a bit more susceptible to fungal infections in the like.

BeBopTalulah Sun 23-Oct-16 09:37:26

The nature of the belly button means that it is likely to become smelly. It's dark, warm and moist and sweat and dirt 'gather' there. If this is the first time you've noticed, it's likely that it's always been like that. Poking around with it will probably irritate it, but just make sure you're giving it a clean out every day when you shower. People do get mild infections, usually after they've tried to investigate with pointy things.... Signs of that would be redness, pain or itching and a discharge.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Oct-16 09:37:51

Mine isn'tconfused

JinkxMonsoon Sun 23-Oct-16 09:39:43

I had a very deep belly button (before two pregnancies stretched it out beyond all recognition) and once discovered this. It's just because it's an area that can get missed when showering which encourages bacteria. Just be more thorough when showering and drying and it'll be fine.

Boogers Sun 23-Oct-16 09:47:31

My sister's belly button was very smelly to the point that she used to clean it out with TCP and witch hazel but it still stank. I have a theory that the more she cleaned it the more it stank as I don't especially wash mine but it doesn't smell, or certainly not offensive like hers.

One of the horrible things she used to do to me was stick her fingers in her belly button and then put them under my nose, saying "sniff that". One of the many, many reasons we're nc.

YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 09:57:37

Glad it's not just me! I don't think it's lack of washing. I shower most days.
I tried a wooden bbq stick but it hurt after. I'm so embarrassed writing this.

boogers that's gross. I can imagine my brother doing that

YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 09:59:34

Does anyone have any good cleaning tips?

twodrinkswithlunch Sun 23-Oct-16 10:02:25

Wash, dry as thoroughly as possible then put on some sudocrem

BusterGonad Sun 23-Oct-16 10:08:32

Maybe try some anti-fungal cream for sweat rash etc. if anything is a Miss with it that should clear it up!

BeBopTalulah Sun 23-Oct-16 10:33:42

You tried a wooden BBQ stick.......

.....please see above about 'pointy things'. That counts as a pointy thing. Please don't do that grin

I really wouldn't do anything drastic or start sticking TCP in your belly button. You will upset the balance of normal bacteria on your skin long term. Honestly....a soapy pinky finger in the shower will suffice...

Boogers Sun 23-Oct-16 10:50:03

I agree with talulah, it doesn't help in the long term, only transiently. Just use a soapy pinky to clean it.

Is it an offensive smell that you (or others) can smell without you sticking your finger in?

sadie9 Sun 23-Oct-16 11:01:31

A blob on Canesten or Daktarin cream or any anti-fungal on a cotton bud. It's not life threatening or harmful, just inconvenient.

JinkxMonsoon Sun 23-Oct-16 13:55:13

I don't think it's lack of washing. I shower most days

But do you actually soap inside your belly button and dry it afterwards? It never used to occur to me to do that, but it makes a difference.

FrickOnAStick Sun 23-Oct-16 14:02:09

Powdering it with daktarin athletes foot powder (antifungal talc) after a shower/bath/wash helps to keep moisture under control and keeps a lid on any fungal growth (and associated whiff).

daisiesinherfootsteps Sun 23-Oct-16 14:04:28

Eek. My first though was also fungal infection. Second the advice to stick a blob of canesten in there overnight then a few thorough washes and dry carefully (hairdryer?)

I've only once noticed a smelly belly button and that was on my couple of month old baby. We were out in the sun on a rare occasion without a vest, caught sight of it in the sunlight and it was orange! Later investigation concluded I just hand ever cleaned off all the dead skin that must have grown post cord. Still makes me shudder though.

YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 15:42:44

Thanks for the tips. I don't think anyone would be able to smell it. I'm going on a date tonight and if things go well I'm a bit paranoid about his face being there thlblush!

YoJesse Sun 23-Oct-16 15:43:34

I don't soap inside my belly button

outofdepth Sun 23-Oct-16 15:46:33

I had this too - I have a very deep belly button. What worked for me was talc after a thorough wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now