Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Twitching eye

(15 Posts)
ktjb39 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:40:24

My eye has been twitching for about 4 or 5 days now and it's driving me mad - any suggestions about why it might be doing it and what I can do would be greatly appreciated!

Caken Fri 21-Oct-16 18:58:09

I get this. As far as I know the most common causes are tiredness and stress. I often get it for about a week at a time and then it disappears by itself. I don't think there's anything specific you can do, sorry no real help!

EmmaMacGill Fri 21-Oct-16 19:00:23

Yes, it's just tiredness, nothing sinister. If you're not working over the weekend and can get some time to relax, away from a computer / TV it should right itself.
It does feel rotten though

ktjb39 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:17:42

I thought as much but haven't had it for this long before - yes I'll try to relax this weekend, I'm a teacher and it's half term. Thanks for reassuring me.

Scribblegirl Fri 21-Oct-16 19:26:21

This happens to me too, had it a few days in the past. I often do stuff to actively try and relax it - cool eye pad/cucumber, lots of destressing. Usually a bloody long sleep sorts it!

MeDented Fri 21-Oct-16 19:29:31

Tiredness or too much caffeine causes this.

EvansAndThePrince Fri 21-Oct-16 19:36:21

Dehydration too

Johnstonbananas Sat 22-Oct-16 09:27:49

Teacher here who gets this all the time! Very irritating. As pp have said, tiredness and stress, dehydration cause this.

What helps me is, focussing on my breathing- might sound silly but it helps especially when you can't whip a cucumber out to pop on your eyes in class.

When home try: cold tea bags/cucumber/cold eye pack if you have one/frozen peas or whatever you have in the freezer in a tea towel too if you have nothing else.

Also try and drink more water and stay away from the coffee/tea

Happy half term grin

ktjb39 Sun 23-Oct-16 08:17:59

So it's still bloody twitching and I've had loads of sleep! Either it's twitching a bit less though or I'm just getting used to it.

Johnstonbananas Sun 23-Oct-16 09:04:47

Stop thinking about it twitching. The more you focus on it the more stressed you get and the more it will twitch.

Have you drank more water? Put cucumbers on? Focused on breathing?

zen1 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:09:45

I get this, and a couple of years ago had a bout that lasted 6 weeks. It was driving me mad (and increasing my anxiety as I was concerned about why it was going on so long). Eventually it just stopped, probably when I stopped thinking about it.

HeyMacWey Sun 23-Oct-16 09:11:17

I once had an eye twitch for over a year - I have cfs/me though so think it was a random symptom of that. It nearly drove me mad.
Agree with trying not to focus on our and you'll eventually stop noticing it so much.

ktjb39 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:04:16

I've been drinking lots of water and using some lovely Liz Earle eye stuff on cotton pads - will try to ignore it. Sympathise with those of you that have had this for weeks on end and longer how annoying.

Littlebeek Mon 24-Oct-16 16:48:41

I had this last year which lasted 6 days, constant twitching! It was awful and I thought it would never go. Haven't had it since or before, very strange!

GerdaLovesLili Mon 24-Oct-16 17:32:32

I had it almost constantly until I took redundancy. Then magically it disappeared right up until I read a book that made me very cross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now