Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colonoscopy and period

(24 Posts)
dippywhentired Thu 20-Oct-16 21:19:03

I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and my period is due tomorrow as well. I already have the brown blood so don't want to go without anything, but I usually use a menstrual cup. Is it ok to wear one during the procedure? Thanks!

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Thu 20-Oct-16 21:22:39

I would have thought not to be honest, I imagine they will just let you whip it out before the procedure!

Airmid Thu 20-Oct-16 23:23:10

I had my period when I went for a colonoscopy. I used a tampon, which they were fine about. I'm not familiar with a menstrual cup but can't see why it would be any different.

Jbck Thu 20-Oct-16 23:30:27

Same as Airmid, phone and ask beforehand or ask the nurse when they are going through the pre-procedure bit.

Akire Thu 20-Oct-16 23:33:47

It's different area so probably say fine even though it's more embarrassing. I had bladder tests once was hoping period would delay it or no. There I sit with probe inserted in bladder , tampon then probe up my backside! Very glamours. Good luck smile

dippywhentired Fri 21-Oct-16 05:46:36

Thanks all!

Johnstonbananas Fri 21-Oct-16 22:06:10

I had mine and I wore a pad as I don't like wearing tampons. They let me keep my underwear on til they were ready to put the scope in and the nurse literally pulled my underwear down for me. Just down enough to get the scow in so the pad was till covering the needed area. And then pulled it back up when they were finished. No problem as all. I was more worried about it than they were.

Simmi1 Sat 22-Oct-16 00:08:50

I had a cystoscopy when I had my period. They made me take the tampon out and gave me a pad to wear instead. When I woke from the GA after the procedure the pad and disposable knickers had gone and I was just bleeding on the bed blush

dippywhentired Sat 22-Oct-16 06:14:22

Thankfully they let me keep the cup in with no issues. That sounds awful Simmi!

Simmi1 Sat 22-Oct-16 08:52:23

Thanks Dippy. I didn't know what to do so I just sorted myself out and left. At least they weren't my sheets!

Johnstonbananas Sat 22-Oct-16 09:15:07

Simmi- why on earth did they do that?! That must have been a bit scary to be honest.

Dippy- I'm glad your colonoscopy went well

Simmi1 Sat 22-Oct-16 10:51:47

I don't know Johnstons. I guess they needed the access to my urethra and the pad and knickers were in the way and then got lost? I usually prefer the "knock me out I don't want to know" approach to procedures when I can but this is the downside I suppose.

Simmi1 Sat 22-Oct-16 10:52:56

I was still wearing the hospital gown so not completely naked!

swooosh Sat 22-Oct-16 10:54:35

i work in endoscopy and we've never made a woman take out her tampon/menstrual cup/liner.

Simmi1 Sat 22-Oct-16 12:21:35

This was for a cystoscopy swoosh and I'm in Australia so may be different. I let it go as I thought it was just part of a medical procedure and they were trying to do their best by me. Also the urologist was female - not sure that makes it ok but it felt less wrong.

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Sat 22-Oct-16 15:17:12

Glad all was well. The reason I thought you may have to take it out was because I can't even have a poo with a tampax in! Maybe I'm anatomically weird!! grin

dippywhentired Sat 22-Oct-16 15:31:40

I'm the same with the cup, maybe we're both weirdblush

crashdoll Sat 22-Oct-16 21:33:48

I was made to take my tampon out for a colonoscopy as they said it's not sterile and an infection risk in the operating theatre. Interesting that this is not a blanket procedure.

Simmi1 Sat 22-Oct-16 23:57:29

Ha ha, when I try and poo with a tampon in the tampon falls outblush. Yes I remember now that that's the reason they gave crashdoll.

dippywhentired Sun 23-Oct-16 08:14:56

But the colon isn't sterile eitherconfused

Simmi1 Sun 23-Oct-16 10:39:16

No dippy but you can't remove your colon grin

The prep for a colonscopy does a good job of getting it pretty clean!

dippywhentired Sun 23-Oct-16 11:59:33

True Simmigrin. Still, glad I didn't have the added indignity of having to remove mine. I'm not in UK so maybe it's different rules in different places.

lazymum99 Sun 23-Oct-16 16:43:10

I had to have a cystoscopy when I had a period. Used a tampon and the only person who was bothered was me. The doctor did laugh and say thats one way of making an embarrassing procedure even more embarrassing.
I had phoned the day before and they told me to tell the nurse when I got there.

swooosh Sun 23-Oct-16 17:03:16

Nope never made a woman remove a tampon for a cystoscopy either. The only procedure we would be a hysteroscopy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now