Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have flu )-:

(14 Posts)
longlistsister Thu 20-Oct-16 09:49:16

I am so ill! I can't get out of bed, cant move, cant take kids to school. I think i have flu! what can i take and can the doctor give me anything for it?
Thanks

Badders123 Thu 20-Oct-16 09:50:03

Nope sad
Rest
Fluids
Night and day nurse
Do r expect to get out of bed for 3 days sad

longlistsister Thu 20-Oct-16 09:51:34

Thanks badders
This is the second day, i've just been taking paracetamol and plenty of fluids.
I never knew flu was this bad

OutDamnedWind Thu 20-Oct-16 09:54:02

Oh it's rough sad I've only had proper flu once, it was horrible.

Yes to rest and fluids. Remember you can take ibuprofen alongside paracetamol. If you work out the timings you can roughly alternate so that one is kicking in as the other wears off.

Badders123 Thu 20-Oct-16 09:54:49

Don't underestimate his awful you will feel
it can takes weeks to get back to normal

MsStricty Thu 20-Oct-16 10:15:46

Take it very easy, OP. Flu itself is bad enough, but if you try and do too much, you open yourself to the risk of a secondary infection (e.g. pneumonia), so just rest, rest, rest.

longlistsister Thu 20-Oct-16 12:08:18

Thanks everyone
I am currently on the sofa with quilt feeling sorry for my self.

WitchOfEorzea Thu 20-Oct-16 12:09:49

Be prepared for it to get worse sad

When my flu hit properly I couldn't even have told you what a phone was or even where I was!

Bloody horrible!

longlistsister Thu 20-Oct-16 12:35:40

Oh no really!
I feel awful now. Is it worth making appt at doctors can they give anything apart from what i can buy over the counter

Badders123 Thu 20-Oct-16 13:17:49

DO NOT GO TO THE DR!!!
You could pass it on to someone already ill!
Day and night nurse tablets or liquid
Lots of fluid
You need to be in bed - someone will have to look after the DC
Be prepared to only leave bed to go to the loo!
I lost half a stone in 4 days....

acatcalledjohn Thu 20-Oct-16 13:22:46

The only way to deal with flu is keeping hydrated, try to keep some food down, and stay in bed. Do NOT go out, elderly people, pregnant women and young children, or people with compromised immune systems or other conditions will not necessarily fare as well as a normal healthy adult.

Real flu is horrendous. I hope you feel better soon.

brew

lougle Thu 20-Oct-16 14:38:55

To be fair, no one knows this is 'flu. The only way to find out is to have a 'flu swab taken. If it is 'flu then Tamiflu may be able to shorten the duration and severity of it.

In general, lots of fluids, lots of rest. Get help early if you feel that your breathing is compromised.

chippybutty Fri 21-Oct-16 11:45:42

Hi Op,

I've got flu at the moment too. Its awful, isn't it? ! Today's the first day I haven't had a temperature. How are you doing today?

38cody Sun 23-Oct-16 02:15:45

Feel for you - I took to my bed last Saturday and couldn't get up until Thursday - couldn't bear radio, tv, nothing. Flu better ow but left me with chest infection. 2 youngest children had to move in with grandma who's 84 to do the school run etc as husband away. I just slept. hope you're better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now