Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very worried. Hand holding needed

(41 Posts)
troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 05:40:53

I'm 42 and for a quite a few months been having heavily periods. This month however no period which was weird, due on 2 weeks ago and nothing. Today however started bleeding slightly. I am currently waiting for my smear test results to come back and went to my GP a week or so ago as concerned with heavy periods and she did some blood tests - all clear. Tomorrow I'm going for a pelvic scan. But today now I have this bleeding I am petrified. I'm so scared and upset that I have cancer and have googled my symptoms and convinced myself - I know that was silly. Pls hand hold someone sad

FleshEmoji Thu 20-Oct-16 06:14:13

A fiend had exactly the same things happen, worried about the same things, and was fine. flowers

troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 06:17:54

Thanks flesh for reading and replying. I just want to know what's wrong and I know it can be many things but I guess my age and also the fact I am overweight makes me worry a lot. Feeling very anxious and my heart is racing following my trip to the bathroom this morning

EuroCarpediem Thu 20-Oct-16 06:40:55

Hmmmm could you be pregnant?

I had slight bleeding with each pregnancy 2 weeks after a missed period. It was implantation bleeding?

troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 06:42:08

No, not had sex for almost a year so not a possibility.

NavyandWhite Thu 20-Oct-16 07:53:35

Might be hormonal. I've had similar a few years ago, had a scan ( there was a cyst ) and cervix was checked (all fine) then things settled down for a good while.

Hopefully your scan will put your mind at rest.

hopetobehappy Thu 20-Oct-16 09:24:02

Early menopause? I was just like that, very erratic periods for about a year, then got tested for menopause which was positive. I was only 38. Only telling you this to stop you worrying somethings wrong.

troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 15:45:42

Had a blood test and hormones were normal which I think can often be the case the GP said. I hope that's what it is, but haven't had any hot flushes etc

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 20-Oct-16 17:12:58

You could be entering peri menopause stage at your age, can last for several years, and irregularity is a very common complaint. Blood tests are notoriously unreliable and many doctors don't do them.
As for flushes, I am now post meno as my last period was 18 months ago and I have not had one hot flush yet.

troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:17:14

I do hope it's menopause, can't actually believe I am saying that! I did wonder whether 42 was particularly young to start?

FannyCabbage Thu 20-Oct-16 18:39:52

Just wanted to send you a hug and to say try not to worry but get it checked out x

troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:45:39

Thanks Fannycabbage that's very kind. I should never have googled sad

DocMcFanjo Thu 20-Oct-16 18:50:01

Early menopausal symptoms or a fibroid I'd guess. Really very unlikely to be cancer but obviously a scan is essential to find out either way.

To be very unscientific, if you were my patient, I wouldn't have a feeling of doom about your symptoms. Best of luck with getting it figured out flowers

KittyLacey Thu 20-Oct-16 18:51:18

Cancer of the pelvic organs VERY rare in under 50s. Stop Googling (been there, done that! ) and let us know how you get on tomorrow.

KittyLacey Thu 20-Oct-16 18:52:12

Sorry - didn't mean to sound so bossy blush

troubleatmill2011 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:22:47

Thanks Doc, I phoned GP today to seeing they'd heard about my smear test results and they had, they're clear so one less thing to worry about. I keep thinking I've got pelvic pain but am really looking out for it and being anxious is probably exasperating it.

Kitty pls do be bossy I need someone to be! Thank you for the taking the time respond, it means a lot.

PuppetinSpace Thu 20-Oct-16 23:51:13

Blood tests being normal is a v good sign. I had v heavy periods as part of peri-menopause. Also was sent for scan which showed nothing. It's very common at perimenopause. Unpleasant and a nuisance but there are treatments to help. Take care, OP.

EuroCarpediem Fri 21-Oct-16 06:04:18

About 13 years ago (then in late 20s) I suddenly got very very heavy periods.

Went to the doctor and had a pelvic scan. Turned out my womb lining was 4-5 times thicker than usual - hence all the blood.

He put me on some meds (sorry can't remember end they were) and within 6 weeks the problem was gone and never came back.

FleshEmoji Fri 21-Oct-16 06:13:58

Friend, not fiend. She's lovely.

Could certainly be peri menopause at that age - mine started about then.

troubleatmill2011 Fri 21-Oct-16 06:18:36

Thanks all, I wasn't too worried until I missed my last period at the beginning of the month and then suddenly started bleeding yesterday, it's gone today it seems so just one day and only slightly. Thanks for everyone's comments, means a lot and helps settle my mind

troubleatmill2011 Fri 21-Oct-16 10:35:59

So I'm here waiting for my scan, I don't think I'll find anything out today but still feeling very nervous sad

NavyandWhite Fri 21-Oct-16 10:38:23

Thinking of you OP flowers

Piehunter Fri 21-Oct-16 10:46:50

This sounds exactly like my mum at your age, perimenopausal and her periods went haywire. It took another few years for periods to stop completely, there was a lot of this exceptionally heavy bleeding (housebound levels) and then nothing, no period for 2 months, then 2 in 6 weeks. All this was long before hot flushes or other symptoms. She didn't have bloods done for hormones as they said it might not show anyway. I suspect she may have had a fibroid due to the extreme level of bleeding but she isn't the biggest fan of medical intervention and it eventually settled as she stopped bleeding altogether a few years later.

Hope it's all OK for you too flowers

glitterandtinsel Fri 21-Oct-16 10:48:40

I got jaundice as a rare reaction to an over the counter medicine. I didn't realise it at first because I only took 3 tablets. When I googled it, it came back with liver cancer and pancreatic cancer. Googling does no good.
It's usually the simplest reason. It's easy to say but hard to do, but try not to panic.

Owllady Fri 21-Oct-16 10:55:27

Hopefully you're having your scan now (which will be fine if you are not, try not to worry)
I'm 38, so a similar age and my periods went wild! And I started getting mid cycle bleeding. At my scan they found submusocal fibroids. I was refered to a gynae who has done a hysteroscopy and done some biopsies and removed some polyps and put a mirena in. I'm due the results in a few weeks but my gynae said some women's periods do just go haywire as part of their menstrual career and even if your bloods show no hormonal changes, they cam just randomly go haywire.

Try not to worry. I know the tests are intrusive but you do get used to them and if it is anything they will have caught it early x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now