Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any Nurses, what was this?

(3 Posts)
TheEmmaDilemma Wed 19-Oct-16 18:11:00

Ok, this is a strange question.

Around 20 years ago I had very severe Pneumonia. I ended up being bluelighted into hospital and ended up in A&E. Drips in neck, ankles and wrists with veins collapsing the lot.

I was put in an induced coma and intubated with a breathing tube.

When I was eventually taken out of the coma, I had a piece of equipment that was used to help me clear the plem(?) out of my tube. They gave this to me and I did it myself as needed and have to save it for testing.

That time is a little bleary due to the morphine I was on, but I remember it was a tube with a plastic bag on the outside (like a peperami skin for want of a better description). I somehow attached this to the tube and used it myself.

Can anyone tell me what this was called?

missyB1 Wed 19-Oct-16 18:16:04

Yes it was probably a suction tube, sometimes called suction catheters or Yanker suckers.

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 19-Oct-16 18:25:40

Thank you Missy! I was googling for ages and I couldn't find anything that looked similar, but this does:

Don't know why I needed to know so much, it was bugging me due a flashback I had last night.

Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now