Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH being sent for urgent gastro tests, please help me to stop crying and stressing.

(12 Posts)
salsamad Tue 18-Oct-16 22:30:08

My DH has been to the GP today as his IBD has flared up slightly. Whilst there he mentioned he'd been having a little difficulty when swallowing certain foods - mainly bread/cake. This has been going on for over a month and he hasn't said anything.
The GP has referred him for urgent test (camera down throat) and apptmnt should be within the next 2 weeks. The GP couldn't really say what it was but said try not to worry as it probably wasn't anything serious. If it's not that serious why the urgency with the test etc.......
My DH is obviously very concerned and upset. I have comforted him and we talked at length this evening and he's now asleep.
I'm sitting here quietly crying, worried to death. I have stupidly googled swallowing problems and have poured over pages relating to esophageal cancer and now my anxiety is through the roof. I can't stop thinking worst case scenarios.
He is quite a fit man who has an active job and generally eats healthily but does like a couple of cans of lager 5 nights a week (doesn't drink Mon & Tues). I can't help thinking I should have discouraged him more from regularly drinking alcohol.
How am I going to get through the next few days of being supportive without crying and breaking down. I love him so much.

Pinkgeek Tue 18-Oct-16 22:37:24

Bless your heart, I appreciate this must be so worrying for you both.

However, I have just googled it too (healthline website) and cancer wasn't mentioned at all. There are lots of causes and it can actually be temporary and go away on its own.
Urgency of the test may be because dehydration and malnutrition can occur if there is prolonged difficulty.
Is IBD similar to IBS? Some kind of reflux associated with this can make swallowing uncomfortable.
What does it feel like for your partner? Does it feel right or like something is lodged?
I have my fingers crossed that it will all be ok for you both flowers

Pinkgeek Tue 18-Oct-16 22:37:54

Tight not right!

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 18-Oct-16 22:39:21

no use me saying try not to worry but i had all these tests done years ago, I went to the drs repeatedly for months and they ignored everything I said, then I suddenly lost 2 stone in a few weeks and they panicked, suddenly referred me for loads of tests (actually I had lost the weight because I had started an exclusion diet to try and work out myself what was upsetting my IBS and obviously had cut out lots of stuff so was left with meat, fish, veg and fruit really which resulted in weight loss). What I am trying to say is that sometimes a dr will just suddenly think they need to find out because it is obviously causing serious problems, doesn't actually mean there is anything seriously wrong though I don't think. Mine turned out to just end up being ? everything. 14 years later I am still awaiting answers. I didn't have swallowing issues but that could be linked to lots of things I expect especially if it is mainly dry things, it could be anything from not enough saliva to silent reflux irritating his oesophagus, I am not a Dr but there are nearly always many more non serious causes for symptoms than serious ones.

doesn't help much I know but you do just have to muddle through until the tests and wait and see what they tell you x

crazycatguy Tue 18-Oct-16 22:39:39

I've had the camera in quite short order and they found stomach ulcers.

Loads of pills and a bland diet for a month. Presume they have taken blood?

anotherguiltymum Tue 18-Oct-16 22:45:49

Has he got an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) like Crohn's because that could cause narrowing and strictures?

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Tue 18-Oct-16 22:48:34

The urgency is down to possible dehydration as a pp said plus the fact that it's one of those symptoms that is most often not something serious but can herald a few serious things.

It is much, much more likely to be reflux. oesophagitis or diverticulitis (especially if he has ibd) than anything malign, but they need to rule out the worse causes quickly first.

It is awful when you're worried about the health of a loved one. Hope he gets good results - depending on what the scan shows he may need further tests like barium swallows etc.
flowers

gingeroots Tue 18-Oct-16 22:58:21

salsa - waiting for tests and results is the very worst ,have a hand to hold .

Be careful with google ,statistics and outcomes for cancer quoted on line by necessity are based on studies done 5 /10 years ago and generally don't reflect the positive advances made in treatment .

It's good that the GP is being careful ,having trouble swallowing is one of those things that should be investigated . There is a "red flag "system that GP's follow and trouble swallowing should be investigated within 2 weeks if reported .

I have had oesphageal cancer but I'm here to tell the tale and doing well .Early diagnosis is of course important .

I'm not good at posting ,take each day as it comes ,try not to cross any bridges until you have to . There's every chance that there will be an innocent explanation for your DH's symptoms .

I'm thinking of you both .

salsamad Tue 18-Oct-16 23:03:10

He is eating and drinking okay (I'd never noticed til he told me). He only has the pain/discomfort with certain foods. His IBD is Ulcerative Colitis which is suppose to be restricted to the large bowel only (unlike Crohns which my DS has).
Due to having previous anxiety issues it has just being difficult for me to be strong and supportive. Stupidly reading symptoms and causes on Google was so not helpful.
Thanks so much for all your replies and supportive messages.

gingeroots Wed 19-Oct-16 09:57:21

Oh salsa ,no one can be strong and supportive all the time and it sounds as though you've been through the mill already with Chrons and Colitis afflicting your loved ones . No wonder you're anxious .

When I was dx one constant was my huge relief that it was me and not my family . I truly believe it's harder for your loved ones than it is for yourself . In some ways ,knowing that my partner was affected helped me be stronger because I knew I had to protect him . Also when it's happening to oneself ,it's very surreal/unbelievable and I think I was protected by shock .

Maybe you should ask your GP for help for you ? You might already be on anti-d ,but something to help you sleep might help ?

Sorry if above is clumsily expressed ,forgive me if I've said the wrong things .Some posters are so good at finding the right words ,but it's not a skill I have
.flowers+brew for you .

sadie9 Wed 19-Oct-16 12:29:02

Acid Reflux can have all sorts of symptoms and irritate back of the throat and oesphagus, so that swallowing very dry stuff isn't as easy if the coating of the oesphagus is inflamed due to acid and therefore not performing in it's usual way. Ask him to stop drinking completely from today and see if the problem improves between this and the test.

Tanfastic Wed 19-Oct-16 12:38:49

Op myself and DH are currently going through tests to rule out anything significant so I know how worrying it is. It's easy to say try not to worry but you won't till you've had the peace of mind, that's only natural.

You just have to find the strength from somewhere to get you through the next couple of weeks. They should be able to tell you the results pretty much on the day I think with the camera down the throat.

For what it's worth I sometimes have a problem swallowing bread and mashed potato. Not sure why but I've always been like it. I just assumed I was being greedy wolfing down my food or putting too much in my mouth. Could this be similar to your DH? flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now