We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you inhale food without choking?

(11 Posts)
smoothieooo Mon 17-Oct-16 12:25:57

I was at a family get-together yesterday eating lunch and laughed at something my dad said, having just put some roast turkey and potato into my mouth but then the food suddenly went down without being chewed. I felt like I'd literally inhaled it, but the coughing/choking fit I would have expected didn't happen.

Today my chest is a little sore and I'm coughing a lot - but not sure if that's down to feeling under the weather generally.

Is it actually possible to do this? Not sure whether to contact GP as I'm not sure what could be done anyway!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

QueenLizIII Mon 17-Oct-16 12:32:03

One of my exes used to make me.laugh with food in my mouth as he was a twat. I dont know why he did it.

He did it once when i had just taken a big sip of sparkling apple juice and I inhaled alot of it due to the intake of breath.

I had the most intense and painful coughing fit and couldnt stop. It went on for well over a couple of hours and when we went for a hot drink later i was still spluttering.

I dont know really. Surely a food fragment that big you'd know about?

smoothieooo Mon 17-Oct-16 12:36:32

I would have though so Queen - it was a bit of turkey and roastie together. A bit of Googleage has confirmed that it can happen but I would have thought I'd be coughing like mad. Weirdly I can pinpoint where it feels it might be and on exhaling, it feels like I'm only doing so properly from one side of my lungs.

Although whether that's just hypochondria developing, I don't know!

QueenLizIII Mon 17-Oct-16 13:12:09

well you better see someone.

Badders123 Mon 17-Oct-16 13:14:43

Yes
You may have aspirated the food.
Go and get checked out

smoothieooo Mon 17-Oct-16 15:19:23

Thanks all. Off to get a chest x-ray!

QueenLizIII Mon 17-Oct-16 19:33:52

Let us know how you are!

MothersGrim Mon 17-Oct-16 21:45:34

How did you get on?

smoothieooo Wed 19-Oct-16 10:07:52

Sorry all - unbelievably didn't log into MN all day yesterday!

I called 111, who advised me to go to A&E and apparently I have a virus rather than an episode of aspirated food (doc listened to my chest and did the usual temp and blood pressure tests but I didn't have a scan). So, although I don't feel well at all, it's good to know that I don't have part of Sunday's roast dinner lodged in my lung!

QueenLizIII Wed 19-Oct-16 13:05:01

That's good. Maybe you swallowed it whole and it felt like it went down your wind pipe instead. Glad you are ok.

smoothieooo Wed 19-Oct-16 13:11:27

Thanks Queen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now