Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone take Magnesium supplements? Advice needed on when to take

(33 Posts)
woowoowoo Sun 16-Oct-16 15:07:13

Hi everyone

I am about to start taking Magnesium Bisglycinate supplements. They have been recommended to me to help me sleep and also ease muscle aches and pains (I suffer fibromyalgia and the pain of this is affecting my ability to fall asleep at bedtime).

The supplements I have bought are 4 x 250mg a day. However, it doesn't say whether to take them all at once or in staggered doses throughout the day. Can anyone advise?

I am wondering whether I should take them all an hour or so before bedtime if I am taking them for relaxation and sleep. Is this right?

Any help or advice will be well received. Especially from those who have taken these tablets and have found they have made a difference to their health. I am expecting great things after what I have read online!

Thank you

woowoowoo Sun 16-Oct-16 15:56:55

ihatethecold Sun 16-Oct-16 16:23:41

Not sure but i use magnesium as a spray and it does help me sleep.

Hopefully someone will respond on here to give you an idea of when to take them, maybe nighttime is best

woowoowoo Sun 16-Oct-16 16:48:26

Thanks, I tried the spray but it did nothing for me. I was so disappointed. Glad it works for you.

Bettertobehealthy Sun 16-Oct-16 20:36:13

This reply may be a bit of a divergence from the question - but did you know that sufficiency in magnesium levels are required to enable vitamin d to do its work .....so to speak. If you had low vitamin d levels ....then you may , I stress may find that you have similar symptoms to magnesium deficiency. Insomnia/muscle aches/bone pain being just a few.
So I was wondering .... is it possible that you are low in Vit D ? If that were the case .....then it may be advantageous for you to get your Vit D levels up , to at least 100nmol/l as encouraged by many vitamin d researchers. Magnesium is a co-factor for Vitamin D and vice versa of course.

here is a thread , rather long I'm afraid - which details many peoples experience with those symptoms and how vitamin d helped.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2421492-Vitimin-D-can-it-have-this-effect

Sorry this is not an answer to your question .....but it may be of some use.

best of luck

BTBH

Anothernamechanger1 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:38:35

I take mine after dinner so about 3-4 hours before bed. I don't find it helps me sleep as that's messed up (thanks to ds2) but when I ran out a couple months ago I went about 2 weeks without and I really noticed a difference in my back and hadn't put the 2 together. I now make sure I don't run out!

Anothernamechanger1 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:39:01

(I also take my vitamin d spray at the same time)

woowoowoo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:10:06

bettertobehealthy

Thanks for the info re Vit D - I will take a look at the thread.

As it happens, I did have my Vit D tested at the GPs earlier in the year and it was borderline but not low enough for the NHS to prescribe treatment. I bought some Vit D3 1000IU tablets but stopped taking them after a couple of months as I didn't feel they were helping. I have just rooted them out and I have a good few weeks supply left so will restart them and see if, combined with magnesium, they make me feel any better. I'll give anything a go for some relief!

I'll feedback on my experience in case it is useful to others.

loveyogalovelife Sun 16-Oct-16 21:19:10

Best time is just before bed with a little bit of carbohydrate to help them to be absorbed. As prescribed by a very qualified naturopath & nutritionist in London. I take magnesium EAP, fantastic for anxiety and better sleep... I even think the anxiety may have been caused by the deficiency, as I feel great these days!

woowoowoo Sun 16-Oct-16 21:54:52

Thank you loveyogalovelife

I had a feeling before bed might be best for sleep.

What is magnesium EAP? Is it different to what I'm taking?

loveyogalovelife Mon 17-Oct-16 05:36:57

All vitamin supplements are not the same, it seems... Biocare Magnesium EAP complex contains magnesium in a compound that makes it easier for the body to absorb. http://www.bodykind.com/product/638-magnesium-eap-complex-90-vegicaps.aspx

loveyogalovelife Mon 17-Oct-16 05:39:46

Just to add, I was prescribed 3 each night at bedtime with a little bit of carbs as mentioned

ishouldcocoa Mon 17-Oct-16 05:44:04

I also have Epsom salts in a warm bath a couple of times a week before bed. Apparently, the skin absorbs the magnesium even better than an oral tablet.

feesh Mon 17-Oct-16 05:59:18

There is a Facebook group called the Magnesium Advocacy Group which can help with Mg supplementation - they stem from some research which has found that Magnesium deficiency is almost at epidemic levels now due to depletion of our soils and food quality.

They are a bit evangelical about it, so take most of what they say with a large pinch of salt, but there is some useful info in the files section. You have to send a request to join the group, but they usually approve it straight away.

ihatethecold Mon 17-Oct-16 07:28:14

Op. I take an oral vit D spray everyday.
I think it's better absorbed this way.

woowoowoo Mon 17-Oct-16 08:39:34

Wow! Even more great info. Thanks so much!

I'll definitely take a look at the FB group.

Ihatethecold - please can you post the link to the Vit D spray you use as I will order this for when my tablets run out

loveyogalovelife - here is the link to the Mg tablets I have ordered. Started taking two days ago. These are meant to be very easily absorbed. Are they similar to yours at all?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GVLNUO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crystal15 Mon 17-Oct-16 08:49:04

I take 600mg at bed time as it does make you sleepy

ihatethecold Mon 17-Oct-16 11:27:52

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/betteryou-dlux-3000-vitamin-d-oral-spray-60012895?skuid=012895&istCompanyId=8b7eb14d-bd9c-4f8a-aec2-4349bbabb5a0&istItemId=irrirplml&istBid=tztx&&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKEAjw7ZHABRCTr_DV4_ejvgQSJACr-YcwyKhJUK37w1GWfbBVTGdYQBPBWgPPhZzSL21Hysuy-xoCtibw_wcB

woowoowoo Mon 17-Oct-16 11:56:25

Thanks I'll get some!

loveyogalovelife Tue 18-Oct-16 07:23:14

Woo woo, those supplements look really great: "one of the most bioavailable and absorbable forms of magnesium, and also the least likely to induce diarrhea. It is the safest option for correcting a long-term deficiency." Possibly better than mine so I would feel confident taking them if I were you. smile

ihatethecold Tue 18-Oct-16 09:00:43

I'm trying to prevent PMT and painful periods returning since i came off the mini pill 3 weeks ago.

Am i right in thinking that Magnesium can help with this?

Ive added the magnesium in the amazon link to my basket, would i really need to take 3/4 a day?

I already take Vit D spray everyday. I also take a chromium supplement to help with sugar cravings

ihatethecold Tue 18-Oct-16 09:03:54

Sorry, another question.......

I'm already using the spray magnesium on my back at night time. would i be over supplementing if i used the tablets as well?

loveyogalovelife Tue 18-Oct-16 17:24:21

Ihatethecold - the original reason I went to see a naturopath was to find a natural solution to excruciating periods (I get primary dysmenorrhea and its agony). I do think magnesium helps with muscle spasm, and I sometimes take a hot bath in magnesium (Epsom) salts at the time. Take extra with a few vitamin E capsules when you feel pain. Take starflower and vit E capsules for the second half of your period. Agnus Castus also helps some people. Failing that if it's a bad month, I'm afraid the only thing guaranteed to work for me is mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid taken as soon as I realise I'm coming on, until I'm certain it's nearly over. Otherwise I'm screaming in pain on the bathroom floor, throwing up everything I have and more, and fainting...

woowoowoo Tue 18-Oct-16 18:42:04

loveyogalovelife

I have heard that Starflower oil capsules are good for PMT and mood swings....is this what you take them for? Are they effective?

What do you take the Vitamin E for ?

Finally (!!), I would like to try Epsom salt baths for muscle pain. I have heard that the small tubs of it they sell in chemists is ridiculously expensive for the amount you get. Some people bulk buy on Amazon or in garden centres as magnesium Sulfate. Where do you buy yours? I'll check out Amazon and report back.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice. This has turned into a really useful thread. I thought I'd only get one or two replies.

ihatethecold Tue 18-Oct-16 18:53:41

I just bought 5kg from Ocado with my shopping for £14.99
Which I thought was very good value.
TK Max is where I have previously bought it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now