Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Achey boob/armpit

(19 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Oct-16 07:54:32

Had an ache in my outer boob/armpit on and off for the last few weeks and wondering what it could be? All google says is pregnancy, but I'm on my period at the moment so it's not that. It's like a couple of times a day at least there's a flash of ache across the area and always a dull ache. Not really GP worthy, but pretty annoying, so asking here!

PotteringAlong Sun 16-Oct-16 07:56:56

Are you breastfeeding? If you are it could be mastitis?

worldsworstchildren Sun 16-Oct-16 07:59:06

I had that few years ago. I went to doctor who said you should always go if you have any niggles just in case. she sent me for mammogram at hospital. I had s blocked milk duct even though I hadn't breastfed for about 6 years. I'd go just to put your mind at rest.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Oct-16 07:59:50

Hm interesting. No I haven't breastfed for about a year.

JasperDamerel Sun 16-Oct-16 08:00:27

Badly fitting bra? Small cut/ingrown hair/spot on the edge of your armpit which has reacted badly to deodorant?

NormHonal Sun 16-Oct-16 08:05:12

(Not a medical professional.)

I've had achey boobs/armpits the past few days whilst I've been unwell. I put it down to swollen lymph nodes whilst I fight off this bug, whatever it is.

But if it's been a few weeks, go and get checked by your GP.

Ilikesweetpeas Sun 16-Oct-16 08:08:17

I had the same, and still do sometimes. When it was checked out they felt it was hormonal and now I'm not on the pill I can tell it's linked to my cycle. I was glad I got it checked out

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Oct-16 09:53:03

Thanks for the ideas. I do have a horrible knot in my back behind the offending boob so maybe it's related to that. If it continues I will go to GP.

NicknameUsed Sun 16-Oct-16 13:29:04

Given your latest update I would make a GP appointment tomorrow

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Oct-16 16:51:49

Really??? Yikes! I've had this knot ever since co-sleeping and had massages for it and masseuse agrees it's just muscle all knotted up confused

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 16-Oct-16 17:00:11

If it's been going on for a few weeks then it is GP worthy. For the sake of a couple of hours out of your day, it's worth making an appointment, just for your peace of mind. It is obviously bothering you more than you care to admit as you've posted here.
It's best to check these things out before they get any worse.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Oct-16 17:10:33

OK thanks. I hate taking up GP appts and always leave them feeling like a total timewasting hypochondriac! Hence my reluctance grin I'll give it a go though.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 16-Oct-16 17:14:45

I know what you mean. I rarely go to the doctors unless my leg has fallen off or something but I think you should get it checked. It's a legitimate concern. smile

NicknameUsed Sun 16-Oct-16 17:39:28

I didn't realise it was knotted up muscle. Sorry to scare you. I still think it is worth visiting the GP.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 24-Oct-16 20:32:03

Well I finally went to the docs and she found a 'thickening' immediately, exactly where my ache is coming from shock She says it's probably just hormonal - I'm 26, no family history of the big C, had a baby 18 months ago - but am referred to the breast clinic. I will actually faint if they have to do a biopsy or something... Hopefully will have found my Big Girl Pants by then! Thanks for the advice all.

dlwelly Mon 24-Oct-16 20:36:23

I'm having exactly the same thing. I went to the GP who did an examination and couldn't feel anything unusual. Said it was probably a strain from carrying my toddler on that side.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 24-Oct-16 20:37:54

Ah well done you. It's probably a blocked milk duct or something, even if you're not breeding, but it's best to get it sorted.
No one wants to be walking around with an achy boob!
Good luck with your check up flowers

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 24-Oct-16 20:39:17

*Sorry, not breeding , I meant breastfeeding! confused

mumof2kiddos Sat 29-Oct-16 23:30:57

exactly same thing with me...i am 44. left shoulder, armpit, boob (not any particular spot) upper arm, left upper back, left neck all seems to be achy/flash pains and going on for 3-4 weeks. Went to the GP, she checked out my breast and felt no lumps etc but there was a massive knot and tight muscle on my left shoulder and the moment she pressed it I cried in agony. She suggested that all these pain can be muscular however I need to see her again if this continues.
My pain is still there, but fingers crossed, feels a bit less these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now