Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you try to get in to the GP about this? -TMI warning!

(10 Posts)
NoCapes Fri 14-Oct-16 10:30:02

Last month I had a late miscarriage and delivered the baby at 16 weeks, bled for a while as expected but was generally ok
Then had a hysteroscopy a couple of weeks ago

This week I've been having my first period since, it's been heavy, pretty painful and quite bright red blood
Last night though I felt something come out (Eurgh) and when I checked it looked like a piece of the lining of my womb (I know what it looked like from the previous delivery, it all came away then) it was quite a big solid piece of it
Ever since my bleeding has got heavier and at points I can feel the blood trickling out of me, not like on your period when the blood is just kind of there - iyswim?

Should I try to get into the GP about it (it won't be easy and possibly not even possible atall) or does this all sound quite normal and just my body having a bit of a 'clear out' of anything retained from the 2 procedures like I've been telling myself?
I don't want to go to the GP as an emergency and it be nothing?

DollyBarton Fri 14-Oct-16 10:33:23

Yes, please go. Even just for peace of mind.

DollyBarton Fri 14-Oct-16 10:34:56

I would worry that it's something to do with the placenta and that you are haemorrhaging rather than having a period. Go to the GP.

bumblingbovine49 Fri 14-Oct-16 10:35:51


Sorry you are having a hard time. I would call the surgery and ask for a telephone consultation At our practice they usually offer these if you want to speak to a doctor but are not certain that it is urgent. They tend to do the callback in the afternoon

You do have to be available for the call but if you make sure to keep your mobile with you and can just go somewhere private when they call you.

I would definitely want to speak to a doctor about this though if I was you, even if just for some reassurance that it is normal

SheldonsSpot Fri 14-Oct-16 10:37:15

I would definitely want at least a telephone consultation at this point.

With an appointment in a week or two to check iron levels, etc.

Vango Fri 14-Oct-16 10:43:33

I think I'd skip the GP and call the team at the hospital for advice. I had something similar shortly after my DD's birth (dangling - I thought it was still attached to me!). It was 'retained products' and I found myself back in the delivery room having gas & air whilst it was all being dealt with.

NoCapes Fri 14-Oct-16 10:53:36

Ok I've got a doctor ringing me for a phone consultation at some point today (I didn't even think to ask for a phone appt!)
Thanks all for the advice smile

PeppasNanna Fri 14-Oct-16 15:08:33

Let us know how you get

Homebird8 Fri 14-Oct-16 21:23:43

I am so sorry for your loss NoCapes. Tough times. flowers

With regard to your question I think that as this is unusual for you, and with your recent history, I would get it checked out. It's possible that the doctor will just assume that it's your body sorting itself out after the miscarriage but they may be able to tell you at what point to come back if things continue or change. Look after yourself. You deserve it.

228agreenend Fri 14-Oct-16 21:25:15

Hope you are okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now