Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Seem to have constant aches and pains - why??

(5 Posts)
Athyrium Thu 13-Oct-16 17:37:01

I'm 50 not 150 yet always have bits of me that are painful or achey - undoing a screw cap causes sharp wrists pains, a longer than usual walk causes hip pain, grabbing a door handle awkwardly will give me shooting pains in my hand, day to day life causes back pain...I always have pain somewhere or other. Today my head hurts, I have shooting pains in my lower back, my shoulders are achey and my neck hurts (I have an ancient unresolved neck injury so that I least I understand.) I walk and am active, only gave up running a couple of years ago, yet feel like an old lady. Are there any possible reasons for these aches..? Help!

Bettertobehealthy Thu 13-Oct-16 19:50:08

Hi Athyrium

one of the reasons you could have generalized aches and pains , joint problems etc is Vitamin D deficiency.

Here is a long read ...! many people with similar problems , what they did , how it helped. I posted quite a few times on that thread.
You might like to have a look.

Good Luck.


Athyrium Thu 13-Oct-16 21:01:35

Ah right. I do have history of vit D deficiency. Have been supplementing for months but maybe i need to get another blood test. Thanks, will read the thread you link to.

FourToTheFloor Thu 13-Oct-16 21:04:11

I was just telling dh l am definitely going to suffer from arthritis as my knuckles ache, knees and hips and I'm not even 40. I'm a bit too scared to go the GP in case it's confirmed.

Bettertobehealthy Fri 14-Oct-16 12:12:02

athyrium I wonder by what amount you are supplementing. ? The UK RDA ( 400 IU ) is woefully inadequate, especially if you are deficient .

Try and get your blood level at least above 100 , and keep it there permanently. See my other posts..! This NHS path lab, City Hospital, Birmingham, will do tests for the general public , quickly. Results are back within a week, by email. The test is a blood spot on blotting paper, sent to them by post.It costs £28 .

fourtothefloor Sorry to hear about your aches and pains. It does make so much sense to see a doctor , particularly if any of the joints are inflamed or swollen. There are treatments, don't just let it happen...!!

If it is something as simple as vitamin d deficiency , you can treat it so easily . See this thread , as well as the other one posted above... it may be of some help.

Best of luck


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now