Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone cured their fear of flying?

(8 Posts)
tracyk Thu 08-Feb-07 11:31:15

Due to go on hols in June and get a bit anxious a couple of days before flying and then tense and nervous during the flight. Don't enjoy it at all.

choosyfloosy Thu 08-Feb-07 11:58:04

I'm afraid I solved the problem.... by giving up flying...

I found the only way for me was just not to think about the flight - if it enters your head just think about something else. but then it's only the takeoff that i really hate.

i really hope i will never fly again but that's not always possible - it's a very damp island, sometimes we have to get out!

PoppiesMum Thu 08-Feb-07 12:10:54

Hypnosis worked for me - had 2 sessions before 12 hour flight on honeymoon and she also taught me relaxation techniques to use. I wouldn't say I am cured, as I still feel nervous on a plane, but the difference is I feel more in control and able to manage my fear.

Oh, and a large vodka orange on board always helps too

NadineBaggott Thu 08-Feb-07 12:12:00

I hate it. Have a long haul coming up and am NOT looking forward to it!

mummylin2495 Thu 08-Feb-07 12:14:15

i too have a far of flying.i love airports and can sit quite happily watching the world go by .THEN comes the dreaded call to board.i sit in my seat and constantly watch the air hostesses ,if they look calm then i am too !i will not get up to go to the loo either but strangely enough i dont worry about coming back again.

elibumbum Thu 08-Feb-07 12:14:42

Yes - I read Allen Carr's book "The easy way to enjoy flying". I got anxious about flying after I watched a series on flight accident investigations (think it was called black box accident investigations). I avoid such series now!

After I read the book I even enjoyed turbulence!

NadineBaggott Thu 08-Feb-07 19:49:57

ha, ha - just been to Amazon to look at that book, here's one of the reviews - pmsl!!!

Save your money, 11 Feb 2006
Reviewer: "emmierow" - See all my reviews
I am utterly convinced that none of the other reviewers of this book have a REAL fear of flying. If, like me, you have an all-consuming fear, (despite researching aviation safety and reading as many books as you can about curing your fear of flying etc)then I'm convinced that you'll find this book as unhelpful as I did.
Mr Carr spends the first few chapters assuring you that your fear is perfectly rational because planes DO crash, which is kind of him, given his target audience. He then talks about how much more likely you are to die in your garden than in a plane, thus creating a fear of gardening (as if I don't have enough to worry about!!). He EVEN includes the two most useless facts anyone with a genuine fear of flying can EVER hear -take note, Allen-
1) Everyone dies some day
2) You're more likely to be kicked to death by a donkey than die in a plane
Well readers, have I cured your fear of flying yet? NO?!! Shocking. What, even if I talk incessantly about how much I love flying? Even if I constantly mention that my 'method' will cure you, without ever actually getting to 'my method'? NO?? Well, you must be lacking a positive, open mind then. Not my fault.
One piece of advice? Save your money and put it towards a Virgin Atlantic Flying Without Fear course. And no, I don't work for Virgin. It just helped me a lot more than this book.

Lubielou Sat 24-Feb-07 23:14:16

VALIUM!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now