Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Medication to help me fall asleep

(65 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

woowoowoo Wed 12-Oct-16 17:08:30

I have a chronic pain condition coupled with depression and anxiety.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to fall asleep at night. I get racing thoughts and cannot switch off. The only thing that helps me drop off is wine, which is not a habit I want to get into for obvious reasons.

Can you recommend anything I can take either with or without prescription?

So far, my GP has prescribed me two different sedating anti-histamines but these don't work for me. I have also tried low dose amitriptyline but this takes ages to kick in and leaves me with a terrible sleep hangover the next day and I struggle to get up.

Really interested to hear what others have tried and what works for you.

Many thanks

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 12-Oct-16 17:22:01

Night Nurse.

Seriously. That stuff could knock a T-Rex out.

SargeantAngua Wed 12-Oct-16 17:31:55

When were you taking the amitriptyline? I take mine at least an hour before bed and 12 hours before I have to get up. If you didn't know that it might be worth giving it another go. It takes a while to get used to as well.

ayeokthen Wed 12-Oct-16 17:34:06

I hated amitryptaline for the same reason, I felt stoned the next day after taking it. I use Kalms Night, and the Kalms tablets during the day for anxiety. They seem to have helped with my sleep pattern without feeling buckled the next day.

specialsubject Wed 12-Oct-16 17:45:16

the behind-the-counter nytol (as opposed to the useless off-the-shelf one) does it for me - but it takes 2 hours to kick in and 2 hours to wear off after waking. That said, if you find anti-histamine doesn't work then probably a no go.

non-medical idea to try: an MP3 player (not a phone, screen will keep you awake) loaded with 'History of the World in 100 objects' podcasts. Educational, pleasant and highly recommended not because they are boring but because they are soothing.

Nobrain Wed 12-Oct-16 17:47:32

I listen to an audio book to stop my mind wondering and worrying. It gives me something to concentrate on which also distracts me from my pain.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 12-Oct-16 18:09:46

I've had insomnia.

I used to drink Twinnings Sleep tea, burn incense, keep bedroom clean and tidy and listen to music.

I used to listen to Studio Ghibli's Relaxing Piano Music, is on YouTube, but anything chilled is good.

And have a window open. Fresh air is the balls.

squeezed Wed 12-Oct-16 18:17:29

Melatonin. I had it on prescription and it helped sort my insomnia out along with therapy etc

LittleMissUpset Wed 12-Oct-16 18:18:21

I take mirtazapine for depression and anxiety, but it also has a sedative effect so I've been sleeping really well. Have to take it at bedtime and after 5 weeks it's having a positive effect on me.

FruitCider Wed 12-Oct-16 18:19:50

Promethazine is a good sleeper, it is also not addictive as it's an antihistamine and not a z drug.

chipsandpeas Wed 12-Oct-16 18:22:22

melatonin works great for me, downside is you cant get over the counter here, i bought some when i was in the US and just recieved a order from a website called vitamin grocer as my sleep was soo much better after taking these and didnt feel any effects from them the next day

graphista Wed 12-Oct-16 18:23:32

I've been prescribed zopiclone but very nervous of trying new medications (almost 2 years of only about 3-5 hours sleep in a 24 hr period) anyone have experience of this drug?

Woowoowoo I hope you have success in treating.

paulweller73Murielswedding Wed 12-Oct-16 18:24:50

I have propranolol on prescription for panic and anxiety. If I take 20mg at night they help me calm down enough to sleep.

popthisoneout Wed 12-Oct-16 18:25:12

Promethazine. It's used a lot on psychiatric wards to sedate manic patients a d works really well.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 12-Oct-16 18:25:37

Mirtazapine is a very sedating antidepressant, sorted my long-standing sleep problems right out. However, it does cause weight gain so it's not totally benign.

HippyChickMama Wed 12-Oct-16 18:26:58

Try Valerian essential oil. A few drops on your pillow and a few drops mixed with a teaspoon of milk poured into a bath.

Mcnorton Wed 12-Oct-16 18:27:08

Sominex works for me. You can get it over the counter. I always wake up really groggy afterwards though!

Alabastard Wed 12-Oct-16 18:28:27

Promethazine isn't good long term, there's a real risk of tardive dyskenisia.

FuzzyOwl Wed 12-Oct-16 18:30:01

Why don't you try asking your doctor to prescribe nortriptyline instead? It is similar to amitriptyline but doesn't leave you feeling quite so fuzzy headed the following day. Having taking both, I found taking them several hours before going to bed made a huge difference.

goingtotown Wed 12-Oct-16 18:31:00

Benylin Original Cough Syrup. I have a good 7 hours sleep with this.

strongswans Wed 12-Oct-16 18:31:55

I was a zombie with amitriptyline too. I second night nurse though! Amazing stuff for a great nights sleep. Would knock anything out!

Natsku Wed 12-Oct-16 18:44:46

Non-addictive options - melatonin, Valerian root. Always best to try the most benign and non-addictive meds first

Prescription meds that are potentially addictive - various benzos (Oxazepam is one I've used a lot, will also help with your anxiety, Temazepam worked even better but is more addictive, lots of other options out there), Non-benzo ones like Zolpidem (can give hallucinations - I thought DD's toy monkey was real and ended up the hospital, don't recommend except for last resort)

What anti-histamines have you tried? And how big a dose? I use Atarax now, 2x25mg pills and it works fairly well.

Hope you find something that helps, I've had insomnia since I was a child and it fucking sucks, and you can't stay on any medicine long term really so its a matter of finding something that works, using it until you can't any more, then finding something else.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 12-Oct-16 18:50:46

Zopiclone is incredible. Propranolol calms me but doesn't help me sleep. Amitriptiline did nothing at all for me.

I'm trying to learn to sleep on my own again but at the moment I struggle to fall asleep, then wake up at 2am and am awake for hours.

woowoowoo Wed 12-Oct-16 18:54:58

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The antihistamines I have tried so far are:

Alimemazine - did nothing

Promethazine (Pherergan) - took ages to kick in, even though at took it about 5pm, and then I slept all the next day. Reduced the dose by half and still the same affect.

Melatonin sounds a good start...does anyone know where I can buy some? Is in via online pharmacy abroad without a prescription?

Night Nurse sounds good in an emergency. I will get some as a stand by when I'm next at the chemist.

Does anyone practise mindfulness for sleep? My friend listens to something along these lines and wears by it. I am attending a mindfulness taster session next week so am hoping to get some tips from that.

AnyFucker Wed 12-Oct-16 18:55:44

I use Phenergan intermittently for chronic (stress related) insomnia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now