Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

metronidazole 400mg

(4 Posts)
Angel0708 Tue 11-Oct-16 16:53:09

Hello

I was prescribed metronidazole 400mg for 3 times a day for 10 days for a gum abscess

My dentist advised me not to fall pregnant within 4 months

The pharmacist advised me only to wait 2 weeks so a bit confused

Has anyone else been given this advise when taking metronidazole 400mg?

dannyglick Wed 12-Oct-16 09:03:18

Angel, check the Patient Information Leaflet in the box.

MulberryBush12 Wed 12-Oct-16 10:59:43

That type of very specific information isn't included on the Metronidazole patient information leaflet.
Not sure why you were advised leaving 4mth before TTC confused-I am also a dentist btw.
Your pharmacist's advice sounds sensible; the half-life of Metronidazole is 8 hours so it should be well out of "your system" within 2 weeks.
HTH

Angel0708 Thu 13-Oct-16 21:25:24

Thank u for your advice yes I checked the leaflet but didn't see any reference to this

Just left confused as 2 pharmacists have said the same that they would leave it 2 weeks to be safe and also they phoned the hospital research and they also said the same

I saw my dentist again this week and he was still adomant not to risk it and to wait 4 months so we're confused who to listen to!

I stopped taking them 29th August so hopefully completely safe now and our my system 😃 X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now