Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's going on with my leg?

(10 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 06-Oct-16 18:08:04

I've got arthritis in my knee with no cartilage at all on my kneecap and bits of cartilage swishing around in the side of my knee which keep locking up and they'll be removed via arthroscopy at the end of this month

However I've recently also developed a dull ache in my hip which is worse when I'm sitting down and making driving excruciating. For the last couple of days the dull ache has started to spread down the back of my thigh and the whole area feels numb similar to the feeling after banging your elbow and even my toes feel a bit tingly

The other leg is fine .... what could be causing this and what can I do about it as it's sooo annoying

Nemesia Thu 06-Oct-16 18:08:58

Could it be sciatica?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 06-Oct-16 18:10:34

No lower back pain so don't think so .. but don't know!

Nemesia Thu 06-Oct-16 18:11:53

It sounds like a trapped nerve. I don't always have lower back pain with sciatica, but I really am not an expert!

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 06-Oct-16 18:25:51

What helps it feel better?

iwantavuvezela Thu 06-Oct-16 18:27:46

I would say sciatica as well. What helps is heat on the top side part of your hip. (Hot water bottle), keep moving, stretching. My osteopath usually gets me sorted within 1 to 3 treatments.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 06-Oct-16 18:30:49

I have sciatic pain in my arse which travels down my leg esp when driving. It is quite common Google piriformis and see a physio. Also lots of sympathy it is agony

cavkc123 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:36:16

It sounds like sciatica as I have excruciating pains down my leg yet no back pain.

When I have a bad flare up I find the only was to settle it down is to see a physiological

janem8117 Sat 08-Oct-16 16:00:57

I agree it sounds like sciatica. Not all cases of sciatica are caused by a problem with the back. As one of the other posters suggested it could be the piriformis muscle that is trapping the sciatic nerve and causing your symptoms. A good physio should be able to help you out.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 09-Oct-16 07:33:23

Thanks everyone - I'll try to get a physio appointment this week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now