Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best pain relief when you have put your back out?

(6 Posts)
qwerty871 Tue 04-Oct-16 05:49:11

I have put the bottom of my spine out from lifting a pram into a car boot with one arm (I was in a rush) I now can't bend over and it hurts when I walk! I need to look after my active toddler today, so was wondering what I can get from boots to help me get through the day and get some sleep tonight! Any good pain killers or cream? X

daisiesinherfootsteps Tue 04-Oct-16 06:04:13

Nurofen plus should help take the edge off, but only for 3 days as contains codeine.

Or perhaps voltaren gel? I've used that for joint pain but not sure about back, ask the pharmacist?

Guessing not both of the above together though as both contains NSAIDs. But I am not a pharmacist.

Hope you feel better soon.

FoofFighter Tue 04-Oct-16 06:08:34

Co-codamol works best for me. And heat. If it's severely restricting you and intense pain or you have trouble going to the loo or can't feel it, please get yourself looked at.

Zadocthepriest Tue 04-Oct-16 07:36:38

Lie on your front and straighten your arms (like a mini press up, where your arms are supporting the top half of your body and your back is curved) If I have lifted something badly, I can't get my arms straight, but relaxing into the position starts to ease things straight away. Fold your arms if they won't straighten and relax like that for a few minutes. Practise regularly.

acornsandnuts Tue 04-Oct-16 07:40:35

I would ask the pharmacist, not the shop assistant.

They will give you the best combination. Personally I found volterol gel the best plus codiene but I was prescribed that from the GP.

ftmsoon Tue 04-Oct-16 07:50:01

Heat is fantastic, you can either tuck a hot water bottle/wheat bag in your trousers! Or you can buy patches which stick on.
Alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen through the day, add codeine in with which ever you can buy.
Gentle stretches will definitely help, there are lots on the internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now