Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Daice piercing for migraines

(9 Posts)
MrsMuddlePluck Mon 03-Oct-16 08:13:15

Has anyone tried this method? DS17 suffers from sudden onset migraines & I have heard this mentioned as a help, if not a solution.

SoupDragon Mon 03-Oct-16 08:14:50

I haven't but I do remember a thread on MN from not too long ago that was talking about the same thing. You might find it with advanced search.

SoupDragon Mon 03-Oct-16 08:17:20

It's daith by the way.

PuraVida Mon 03-Oct-16 08:38:06

I've been looking at this. There's apparently no scientific proof whatsoever but plenty of anecdotal

I like a piercing so might give it a go anyway

TweedAddict Mon 03-Oct-16 09:00:17

I've had it done. It's turned my life around for a attack that would last 5days every week to having just 1 every other month that lasts an afternoon . A few mates have had it done since the results do vary but every one has seen an improvement.

I would suggest finding a piercer that does them for migraines, they tend to have better results as you need to get the right point. It may involve a bit of traveling but much better then going to anyone.

Once it's healed you can get the jewellery changed, the guy that mine suggested to put some thing in that caused more pressure as the jewellery type can have an effect as well, so I've got a star in mine rather then a hoop or heart.

MrsMuddlePluck Mon 03-Oct-16 13:36:47

Thanks for the correction soupdragon!

MrsMuddlePluck Mon 03-Oct-16 13:37:28

Tweedaddict: sounds like its worth a try?

isupposeitsverynice Mon 03-Oct-16 13:43:53

There's no scientific proof for this at all. By all means have it done, but don't expect a miracle cure. Even our local piercer who has a sign up saying 'daith piercing for migraine' admits there's no connection between piercing and acupuncture. I've had a daith piercing for over ten years and only ever suffered migraines in the last few years. It's a nice looking piercing though so there's that...

TweedAddict Mon 03-Oct-16 14:00:02

I had it done with the mind set of if it works great if not I can take it out if wanted and I'm no worse off.

I still don't know how it works, or if it's just a plebo effect. However with the state I was in I was willing to try anything, if it wears off after a certain amount of time so be it. I'm in a better place now then I was and only on the lowest possible prevention meds and not the highest like before.

At the end of the day, she knows how much they hurt and how much she suffers, if she's willing to give it a go, then do it. It's the best thing I've had done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now