We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Dental abcess won't respond to 3x antib's

(6 Posts)
Chardonnay73 Sun 02-Oct-16 20:13:23

I've got a problem with my tooth. It's crowned and 3 weeks ago a pea sized lump appeared on the gum by it. Been to dentist 4 times now and despite X Ray's ( which show no infection under tooth) and 3 lots of antibiotics it is still discharging pus (sorry if tmi) on an hourly basis. Tonight I noticed the inside side of the tooth, by my tongue Is massively swollen. No pain whatsoever. The dentist wants to take the tooth out but I'm reluctant if the X-rays show nothing. Any dentists about to advise? TIA

RayofSun Sun 02-Oct-16 20:20:35

The reason you have no pain is because the pus is escaping and not creating an accumulation which eventually presents as a swelling and pain. Ideally, your tooth will need a root canal treatment to treat the source of the infection and then you can keep the tooth. Only other alternative is an extraction. The antibiotics are just trying to keep the infection at bay but are not a long term solution.

FinnegansCake Sun 02-Oct-16 20:28:30

I had a pea-sized lump on my gum that discharged regularly, but was actually a cyst.

abbsismyhero Sun 02-Oct-16 20:36:26

floss it? i had an infection that turned out to be a small shard of enamel from some dental work it didn't show up on the x ray but once it was gone everything cleared up (till i ate a bar full of nuts and seeds and got one of those stuck in between my gum bloody hell that hurt)

Johnstonbananas Sun 02-Oct-16 21:25:11

Only thing that took mine away was a root canal. Went away a few days after the dentist took all the infected tissue away from inside my tooth. Ask your dentist about it maybe?

CotswoldStrife Sun 02-Oct-16 22:19:58

Watching with interest as my DH has had three teeth root canal-ed now, on third lot of antibiotics. Has the same issue, lump keeps appearing on gum. I think he needs referring onwards, I'll let you know if anything happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now