Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DIAZAPAM HELP !

(16 Posts)
Horsegirl1 Thu 29-Sep-16 12:27:59

Hello I am.currently stuck on the sofa un able to move. My gp has prescribed me diazapam for severe back spasm. Iv not taken it before amd have 4 small children to care for. How is it likely to make me feel ? DH is a farmer and is busy working so not home till probably midnight ? Will it wipe me out or just take pain away ? Iv never used it before. I once got given temazapam after a traumatic incident and it didn't really do much other than help me sleep (only took it two nights ) . Any help or experiences would be appreciated.smile

Horsegirl1 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:42:58

Anyone ????

lemonzest123 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:44:51

What doseage have you been given?

kormachameleon Thu 29-Sep-16 13:45:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretMongoose Thu 29-Sep-16 13:46:31

Hi, I answered you on the other thread. My DH takes it for intermittent spasms of his back (so not often enough to build up a tolerance) and it sends him to sleep within half an hour of taking it. It makes him very spaced out and vague (like he's drunk).
Are the children home with you now? If I were you, I'd hold off for the first dose until there's someone else to look after the children, sorry. Also you wouldn't be able to drive if it affects you.

lemonzest123 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:46:45

A word of warning that I'm sure your GP has already told you.... Diaz is hugely addictive and revolting to come off once you're hooked so please be careful and only take the recommended amount x

Minniemagoo Thu 29-Sep-16 13:52:20

Recently had similar. Had 5mg x4 times for 2 days and they knocked me out, then 2mg x4 times for 3 days and was functioning ok.

Horsegirl1 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:55:27

I haven't got them yet they are at the chemist. My mam is getting them for me about 5pm. I have been prescribed 14 tablets at a 2mg dosage. Iv never taken this before but I'm in agony amd can hardly move. I defo don't want to get addicted but the spasms are killing me

Minniemagoo Thu 29-Sep-16 14:27:18

2mg is a lower dose, I felt ok, functioning, bit tired, not as on top of things so no driving etc but as I was lying down anyway it didnt matter.
I dont know on their own how effective they would be for pain as I was also on a painkiller (tramadol)

TheFuzz Thu 29-Sep-16 23:34:40

It does help spasms and is ok short term. Can't say how it knocks you out as I was on bucket loads of morphine following a severe spinal fracture. It was the only thing that stopped the spasms and I only had it for a couple of weeks. Was on Morphine for two months in hospital

DontFuckingSayIt Thu 29-Sep-16 23:39:24

I've taken 2mg for anxiety and panic attacks whilst in sole charge of my toddler, it does make me feel a bit slow but it was better than the alternative at the time. I've never found it makes me sleep even at night, just makes me feel kind of heavy and relaxed... like being stoned but without the giggles/munchies etc

MissTeriName Thu 29-Sep-16 23:47:02

For some reason it barely affects me. If anything it makes me more able to focus on work, and it won't let me sleep. It was ideal when I was crippled with back spasms at it, along with the pain killers, allowed me to move and get better quickly. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Ladybird333 Fri 30-Sep-16 00:04:37

2mg should be ok. I had the same for slipped disc. You might be a bit dopey but if you're at home with the kids you should be ok. It's very addictive. You build up a tolerance so within a few days you need more and more to have the same effect. Hopefully your spasms will have eased by then. Get well soon,

Piscivorus Fri 30-Sep-16 00:07:39

2mg is fine. I have it for bad back and it takes the edge off the spasm but does not knock me out

Hope you are better soon

lizzieoak Fri 30-Sep-16 00:08:04

I have to take about one pill a year for back spasms. It makes me a little dopey, but not too bad. It's more the Tylenol w codeine that knocks me out! Seems unlikely you'll need it for more than a day, stuff the rest away somewhere safely away from the kids. Keep till you really need as it is - as everyone's said - very addictive.

Bumplovin Fri 30-Sep-16 00:23:25

I can't take diazepam as it made me feel very wierd, had it for a back spasm but it didn't suit me I would make sure ur partner if someone is around when u take it just in case you become drowsy or feel odd. Everyone is different tho and I know other people who have taken it and have felt fine. It is supposed to be good for spasm so if you seriously can't move Id try it but just see how u feel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now