Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sugar in Urine - what does it mean

(3 Posts)
Grapeeatingweirdo Mon 26-Sep-16 16:44:27

I've been feeling off colour for a while and getting frequent bladder and kidney infections. GP found Glucose in my urine today and is referring me for a fasting blood test as both my parents have Diabetes.

Is there anything to worry about, do you think? I'm 31, slim and relatively fit and healthy in general

AppleMagic Mon 26-Sep-16 16:50:17

It could mean absolutely nothing.

It might mean that you are prediabetic or diabetic. But it's by no means conclusive hence sending you for further testing.

Some "types" of diabetes have a strong genetic component. Health and age wise I am similar to you but I am diabetic. When I lived in the UK I was considered to be prediabetic/ at risk from type 2 despite not fitting the profile. Now I see an endocrinologist in the US who believes I have MODY (mature onset diabetes of the young). How old were your parents when they developed diabetes?

Grapeeatingweirdo Mon 26-Sep-16 16:53:10

Thanks so much for the reply. My mum was in her late thirties and my dad was in his early fifties when diabetes was diagnosed.

I have been feeling off colour; more tired, thirsty, like I'll never ever stop peeling etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now