Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chest infection reoccurring?

(10 Posts)
SendARavenToRiverRun Sun 25-Sep-16 18:21:55

So, I had a chest infection about 3 months ago. I'm asthmatic and ended up with a Neb and antibiotics.
I also scared myself something rotten with overdosing on my steroid inhaler.

This last three or four days my chest is really tight, my blue reliever isn't relieving and I'm using it lots more than usual. Once again I have my asthma review next week.. Can this wait or shall I try and get seen sooner?.

I have a slight cough, but I've had that for ages. No fever, no feeling ill just the tightness and breathlessness.

I have huge anxiety and I'm convinced I have either COPD or heart failure either that or my asthma has worsened and I'm going to die. Ridiculous I know, but it's how my head works.

My rational mind is thinking the infection has come back, does this happen?

A hand hold and any advice would be lovely. Thank you. blush

SendARavenToRiverRun Sun 25-Sep-16 18:39:59

Just to add I'm not a smoker. I'm over weight and mid-30's. I'm scaring myself witless sad

SendARavenToRiverRun Sun 25-Sep-16 22:57:39

Hopeful bump flowers

TheDisreputableDog Sun 25-Sep-16 23:20:42

No advice but it sounds like you're having a tough time. See if you can move your appointment up, better to catch it earlier if you think the infection is back.

booox Mon 26-Sep-16 10:38:55

It's a bit of a wide one and best to chat to gp but I * think* low iron levels can bizarrely have similar symptoms.

Hope you get well soon.

SendARavenToRiverRun Mon 26-Sep-16 17:10:53

Thank you both, it's been in and off all day which makes me wonder if it's anxiety causing it? Historically I have low iron, so I think if it carries in it'll be a blood test.
I'm maxing my ventolin, just hoping the nurse on Friday can help. Thank you both smileflowers

booox Mon 26-Sep-16 17:24:48

It might be that. Look after yourself flowers

SendARavenToRiverRun Mon 26-Sep-16 17:42:09

Thank you

booox Mon 26-Sep-16 18:04:38

Thinking about it, could a short course of oral stations help?

SendARavenToRiverRun Mon 26-Sep-16 19:46:18

I think they probably would. When I had antibiotics with the infection the doctor said to return if it didn't improve for steroids.
I think it has improved but I'm certainly not back to how I was pre-infection.
Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now